Q. I have loss of balance after my ears were pulled. Please suggest medicines.

Dr. Narasimharaju. B. G

I am 34 now. My school teacher pulled both my ears in my childhood and afterwards, I suffered a loss of balance sometimes. I have pain in both my ears and also blurring in both my eyes and fatigue. I think I have mild vertigo. Please suggest the best medicines to cure this mild vertigo. To elaborate, I have giddiness when at work and when watching TV as well. I had discharge from ears some years ago. I suffered a car accident some years ago.

#

Giddiness following pulling of the ear is uncommon. Are you sure you have giddiness from childhood after your teacher pulled your ears?

You may probably be suffering from BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). We need to get a Dix-Hallpike test done to confirm your diagnosis. If it shows positive you may need to undergo Epley maneuver.

For now, I will suggest a few tablets so that you can get temporary relief from your problem. Tablet Emikind MD (Prochlorperazine) nine tablets, tablet Vertin (Betahistine) 8 mg nine tablets, Stugeron (Cinnarizine) 25 mg nine tablets. Take all these tablets three times a day for three days. Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

You had a history of discharge from the ear. So, we need to confirm that you do not have an unsafe type of ear perforation causing erosion of bone. I would suggest you consult your ENT surgeon for examination and diagnosis. You can let me know if you need anything to clarify what your ENT surgeon says.

I will need these two things:

1. Your tympanic membrane status.
  2. The result of the Dix-Hallpike test.

Ask him to put a diagram of your tympanic membrane and write the test result. Also, any other positive findings. You can take a picture of it and send it to me.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|