Q. Will surgery for BPH prevent prostate cancer?

Dr. Devendra

This query is regarding my father. He is 65 years old. He suffers from BPH from the last five years and takes Alfusin-D for the same. Five years back, when he was diagnosed, his PSA was 2.8 ng. Last year, we repeated his test and the PSA was 0.9 ng/ml with normal DRE. An ultrasound of his abdomen and pelvis showed a third-degree prostatomegaly. He does not have any obstructive symptoms other than getting up in the night to urinate. His uroflowmetry also showed normal urine flow. My query is, when should he do his next screening for PSA and DRE, the last one being eight months back. Also, should he go for a surgery? Will the surgery provide any protection against prostate cancer?

#

• The PSA (prostate-specific antigen) has decreased due to Dutasteride component of Alfusin-D.
  • I suggest he get the screening done yearly for a year or two. Then, a two-yearly screening of PSA and DRE (digital rectal examination) is alright as his PSA is low in spite of a large prostate and there is no family history of prostate cancer in any first degree male relatives.
  • Surgery is only indicated in his case if he is fed up with medicines as his symptoms are well controlled with medication. But, let me tell you that surgery does not alter the chance of prostate cancer.
  • A BPH (benign prostate hyperplasia) surgery removes only the adenoma leaving behind a significant part of the prostate which is responsible for prostate cancer. But, I do not think that you should be concerned about cancer considering his clinical scenario. Medicines need to be continued for long and cannot be stopped as it will cause the reappearance of symptoms.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|