Q. Why was my hCG 5 at three weeks and only 77 after 44 hours?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

During pregnancy, the first hCG at three weeks and five days was 5. The second hCG taken 44 hours later was 77. Is this variation viable? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com

There has to be a rise of more than 65 percent in 2 serial beta-hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) values to establish the viability of the pregnancy. So the rise is adequate. However, you can repeat the serial beta-hCG after a week to be sure. I hope this was helpful.

Are these levels low for three to four weeks pregnant? Kindly give your opinion.

#

The levels are low for four weeks gestation, ranging between 5 to 430 mIU/mL. Though they fall in the range, they are on the lower side of the range, so the gestation is likely to be a delayed conception. However, the 65% rise for 45 is 74.5, and the present hCG levels are more than that, so likely that the pregnancy is viable and developing. The heartbeat usually arrives by six to eight weeks, and that laments the precise milestone for viability. Hence, it is best to repeat the scan after two weeks.

Avoid intercourse and do not lift any form of weight. The aim is to avoid any form of bleeding or spotting from the vagina. I hope this was helpful.

|