Q. Should I be concerned about fertility and pregnancy complications due to bicornuate uterus?

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed
This is a premium question & answer published on May 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 15, 2020
Results from an HSG procedure showed that I have a bicornuate uterus or a thick septum. Both Fallopian tubes are patent. But there is an abnormal position of the uterine body, possibly due to a cystic nodularity in the right adnexa, displacing the entire uterine body toward the left side of the pelvic cavity.

Currently trying to conceive and I'm pretty concerned about the complications with both fertility and pregnancy due to the potential above diagnosis.

Further clinical evaluation is recommended. What can be done to fix this and/or make the changes for a healthy full-term pregnancy?

Thanks!

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Hi Thanks for your query woman may never need treatment for a bicornuate uterus. If it is required, the surgery is known as a Strassman metroplasty. This surgery may be recommended if a woman has repeated miscarriages and bicornuate uterus is thought to be the cause. Performing this procedure, as a solution to infertility, is controversial, as the majority of research carried out suggests that having a bicornuate uterus will not affect a woman’s chances of falling pregnant. Some evidence suggests that problems, such as miscarriage and early birth, are more likely in women with the condition, though it does not rule out a successful pregnancy and natural delivery. Women with a bicornuate uterus who do become pregnant should have additional monitoring and checkups throughout their pregnancy, to minimize risk and identify any problems early on. It’s not necessary that all those with this condition will get problems with fertility or pregnancy but the chances are more especially if it’s septate uterus where there’s full septum diving uterus into two. Sometimes it can’t be established on imaging and laparoscopic view may be necessary.

| 

Is it advisable to take PRP injection after IVF failure?

Query: Hello doctor, I had done first IVF last year, but it failed due to a bad quality egg. Embryos were not developed after two days. AMH level is 1.52, and the egg count was low. On consulting another doctor, she suggested to go with PRP injection to rejuvenate the ovary, so that egg count and quality ...  Read Full »

Pregnancy and Birth

Article Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy.  Read Article

Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal

Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy. It typically lasts for 40 weeks from the last menstrual period (LMP). A woman can get pregna...  Read Article

Does miscarriage affect fertility?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36 year old male and my wife is 31 years old. We got married before two years and had not planned for pregnancy. My wife's medical history is as follows. Two years before her thyroid level was near 18 and she took regular medicine. Now her thyroid level came down between 2 and 3 a...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now