Q. Should I be concerned about fertility and pregnancy complications due to bicornuate uterus?

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed
This is a premium question & answer published on May 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 26, 2022

After undergoing HSG procedure, my results showed me that I have a bicornuate uterus or thick septum. Both fallopian tubes are patent. But there is an abnormal position of the uterine body. It can occur due to a cystic nodularity present in the right adnexa. It displaces the entire uterine body towards the left side of the pelvic cavity. Currently, I am trying to get conceived and I am concerned about the complications. Will it affect my fertility and pregnancy? What can I do to fix this issue? How to have a healthy full-term pregnancy?

#

Usually, women do not require treatment for a bicornuate uterus. If there is a need, then a surgery called Strassman metroplasty is done. This surgery is recommended for women having repeated miscarriages. Usually, a bicornuate uterus will not affect fertility. But in some cases, a woman can have early birth and miscarriage with this condition. Women with a bicornuate uterus can become pregnant and she needs additional monitoring and check-ups throughout their pregnancy to minimize the risk and to identify problems in early. Remember that all women with a bicornate uterus will not get problems with fertility or pregnancy but the chances are more if it is a septate uterus where there is a full septum dividing the uterus into two. Sometimes, it cannot be established on imaging and a laparoscopic view is required.

|