Q. What are the treatment options in case of SNHL?

Dr. Kumar Ashutosh
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 32 year old male. I am suffering from a sensorineural hearing loss in both ears. So, I want to make my hearing normal again. I believe that a solution exists. Let me know what can be done to improve hearing. I have been having this issue since a long time, but I did not take proper care except for using hearing aids.

#

• As I can see from your audiogram (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you have a moderate high-frequency sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL), that too from a long time as you mentioned.
  • In case of sensorineural hearing loss, we have these options of treatment.
  1. Medicines. They have a very limited role. Neurotonic vitamins, antioxidants, nootropil (Piracetam), vasodilators, and steroids have some role, but they work better for sudden onset hearing loss.
  2. Surgery. Surgery for sensorineural hearing loss is basically of two types. Middle ear implants like vibrant sound bridge are used for moderately severe to severe hearing loss. There are so many prerequisites for the surgery. The other option is cochlear implants. They are also getting popular off late. This surgery is done in case of moderately severe to severe SNHL.
  3. Hearing aids. As you are already using hearing aids, you are aware of how it works. There are a number of hearing aids available in the market with improved features.
  • I suggest you use hearing aids as already prescribed to you. You can use medicines along with the hearing aids. Follow up regularly with your ENT doctor and audiologist.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|