Q. What are the treatment options in case of SNHL?

Dr. Kumar Ashutosh
Published on Sep 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 32 year old male. I am suffering from a sensorineural hearing loss in both ears. So, I want to make my hearing normal again. I believe that a solution exists. Let me know what can be done to improve hearing. I have been having this issue since a long time, but I did not take proper care except for using hearing aids.

Dr. Kumar Ashutosh

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• As I can see from your audiogram (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you have a moderate high-frequency sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL), that too from a long time as you mentioned.
  • In case of sensorineural hearing loss, we have these options of treatment.
  1. Medicines. They have a very limited role. Neurotonic vitamins, antioxidants, nootropil (Piracetam), vasodilators, and steroids have some role, but they work better for sudden onset hearing loss.
  2. Surgery. Surgery for sensorineural hearing loss is basically of two types. Middle ear implants like vibrant sound bridge are used for moderately severe to severe hearing loss. There are so many prerequisites for the surgery. The other option is cochlear implants. They are also getting popular off late. This surgery is done in case of moderately severe to severe SNHL.
  3. Hearing aids. As you are already using hearing aids, you are aware of how it works. There are a number of hearing aids available in the market with improved features.
  • I suggest you use hearing aids as already prescribed to you. You can use medicines along with the hearing aids. Follow up regularly with your ENT doctor and audiologist.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Will typhoid cause hearing loss?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife lost her hearing for the past 30 hours. I took her to the doctor and he said it is because of typhoid fever. My wife got fever 15 days back. So, what should we do? Will she get her hearing back?  Read Full »

Please suggest ayurveda treatment for hearing loss.

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 46 year old man having diagnosed with a bilateral sensorineural hearing loss. I have been experiencing this for the last two months. Please suggest any ayurveda treatment for the same?  Read Full »

A pulp is seen in the ear after accidental eardrum damage. What is to be done?

Query: Hi doctor,Five days back, my son put a plastic stick into his ears and the membrane got damaged and blood came out. We went to the doctor immediately. He gave us Azithromycin to give the child and told us to keep his ear safe from air, water and, all other materials. He also told us to watch out for...  Read Full »