Q. After 96 hours of phototherapy, my baby's bilirubin is fluctuating. What can be done?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana
Published on Oct 15, 2014 and last reviewed on: Nov 02, 2019

Dear doctor,

My 18 day old baby had gone for 96 hours of phototherapy. Her total bilirubin is fluctuating from 19.5, 14.5, 13.5, 13, 11, again 14 in 12 days. What can be done now?

#

Before advising you about the child, I need some information:

• What are the blood groups of baby and mother?
  • What was the birth weight of the baby?
  • Was the baby born at term or preterm?

Bilirubin may fluctuate during the treatment with phototherapy and the level of bilirubin depends on the maturation of the liver. And the rate of production of bilirubin in the child depends on the cause of raised bilirubin.

If there is any incompatibility of blood groups between the baby and the mother, the bilirubin may rise in spite of phototherapy.

But nothing to worry as the level of bilirubin of 14 is not dangerous around this day of life in case of babies with normal birth weight. It can be managed by phototherapy and adequate feeding of the child with breastfeeds to maintain hydration, which in turn lowers bilirubin.

In spite of phototherapy, if the bilirubin is increasing, then the child needs further investigations to look for other causes such as hemolysis, hypothyroidism, and other problems.

If the fluctuations persist, consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

My newborn has a bilirubin level of 9.1. Is it a cause for concern?

Query: Hello doctor,My baby is 48 hours old now. Her bilirubin level is 9.1. Is it a cause for concern?  Read Full >>

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara
Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I will need more details to analyze the report. What was birth weight? Full-term baby or preterm baby? Blood group of mother and baby?Usually, for a full-term baby with birth weight more than 3 kg, mother blood is not Rh negative or O Rh negative, it is considered n...  Read Full

Kindly suggest the right action for my skin disease.

Query: Hello doctor, I had red, scaly patches all over my body. I consulted a doctor and he said it as Pityriasis rosea. I took treatment for a month, but I guess they are enlarged. Now, I have completely stopped medicines. I took Averzine 25, L-Cet 5 mg, applied Propynate, Clobivax and Galderma. Another d...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your investigation reports and they are normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I have seen your images and it is psoriasis only. Yes, a skin biopsy should be done to have documentation for the future. It is a very small procedure...  Read Full

Laser Treatment for Pimples and Pimple Scars

Article Overview: This article will discuss laser treatment for resistant acne, which does not respond to topical therapy. Read Article

Phototherapy, which includes both UVA, UVB and blue-red light is known to have beneficial effects on acne or pimples. Some of the lasers have also been found to be effective in reducing active acne. Active acne means an acne which is red or has pus. The laser is also useful in improving acne sc...  Read Article