Q. Is Hb level of 22 normal in newborn?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 29, 2020

This is regarding my friend's daughter. The baby is 7 days old. Initially, we were reported that the baby had jaundice. She was on phototherapy for two days and was declared normal. Now, her hemoglobin level is 22. Her father's Hb level is 17. Is hemoglobin level 22 normal in newborn? We are advised now to go for drips due to high Hb level. Is that a correct treatment?

#

• Yes, hemoglobin of 22 is definitely on the higher side. It can cause complications like hypoglycemia and sluggish blood flow to vital organs.
  • A partial exchange transfusion is required in which a small amount of blood will be withdrawn from the baby and will be replaced with fluid (saline). So, please go ahead with the procedure.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|