Q. My newborn has a bilirubin level of 9. 1. Is it a cause for concern?

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara

My baby is 48 hours old now. Her bilirubin level is 9.1. Is it a cause for concern?

#

I will need more details to analyze the report.

What was birth weight? Full-term baby or preterm baby? Blood group of mother and baby?Usually, for a full-term baby with birth weight more than 3 kg, mother blood is not Rh negative or O Rh negative, it is considered normal. But, baby needs observation.Risks for bilirubin high or in increasing trend are:

1. Poor breastfeeding. Make sure mother is feeding well.
  2. Mother blood group Rh negative or ABO incompatibility.
  3. Preterm and low birth weight babies.
  4. Bleed or birth trauma to the baby.

If these things are taken care, you should not worry. But yes, for sure needs observation by doing blood tests for bilirubin and SOS treatment like phototherapy.Let me know after 72 hours what the bilirubin count is. Meanwhile, continue breastfeeding.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|