Q. I am suffering from bipolar disorder, and I had depression before. I need help.

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 24, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 04, 2021

I am suffering from bipolar disorder. I had depression before and I was taking Cipralex. Due to its overdose, I got bipolar disorder. My problem is overthinking. It drives me badly. Sometimes, it makes me depressed and I cannot do anything due to it. I was taking 750 mg for six months and then I stopped taking it. It did not show any positive effects. My psychiatrist told me that I do not require any therapy. I need some help.

#

I understand your concern. Overdose of Cipralex (Escitalopram) does not cause bipolar disorder. You have a possibility that you had depression initially and you started taking Cipralex. After taking treatment, the hidden bipolar disorder got unmasked by using Cipralex. It is common to have unmasking of bipolar disorder among susceptible individuals. Secondly, individuals with bipolar disorder need long-term treatment. Currently, you need treatment for your ongoing suffering. Kindly consult a psychiatrist to treat bipolar depression.

|