Q. Is it necessary to take another birth control pill if vomited after five hours of the first one?

Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial

I am on my second week of birth control pill in my pack and I have not missed any pill since starting but last night I vomited 5 to 5 and a half hours after taking my pill. It was my 11th pill in the pack. Should I treat it as a missed pill and take another? I also had sex without a condom after the incident and I wanted to know if I am still protected and will I continue to be protected?

#

I have read your concern. If you have been on a pill for more than a month and this is your second pack, you have nothing to worry if you just missed out one pill.

Since most probably you have vomited out the pill, you can take another pill for today and then continue as once a day every day. You do not have to take a double pill. You will continue to be protected and just continue with the pack. The problem will only arise if you have not been consistently taking it, if you just missed it today because of the vomiting, it will not be too significant.

For the vomiting, hydrate yourself and better to take Vitamin B and Advil for your hangover.

Hangover.

Gastroenteritis.

Gastroenteritis secondary to alcohol intake.

Hydration, continue with the pill.

Actually, this is my first pack and I am on my second week of the pill. It was my 11th pill in the pack and I vomited after 5 to 5 and a half hours after taking it. Should I be worried and would I need to use back up contraceptive? Because on the leaflet of my birth control pill it stated that I should be concerned if the vomiting occurred 3 to 4 hours after I took my pill. So I wanted another opinion.

#

Okay. If the sexual contact happened within 72 hours, you may take the modified emergency pill using Lady pill. Take four tablets 12 hours apart for two doses, then disregard the rest of the pills. This emergency pill may cause a disturbance in your usual period. However, for now, we cannot do anything about it.

You may have an early period and cramping even if you have not yet finished your Yasmin pack. Also, do not stop the Yasmin. Just take it one pill in a day. If you get your period even if you are not yet finished with Yasmin pack. Disregard the pack and start another. If you are to have intercourse for this month and next, use condom first.

|