Q. Can black fungus spread like Covid?

Dr. Krishna Swaroop Achanta

My aunt is taking Amphotericin (antifungal) for a suspected black fungus case. We were not in contact within one week of her checkup.

Can you let me know if we are in any imminent danger, as I am feeling some sores in my mouth suddenly for the past two days? Is it a spreading disease like covid?

Kindly help me with your answers.

#

Black fungus or Mucormycosis is an infection that spreads only by air when someone comes into contact with fungal spores. You do not need to worry much as you have had no contact with your aunt for a week.

But follow certain precautions like avoiding damp places and using extra sensitive toothpaste like Sensodyne repair and any mouthwash twice daily to maintain your oral hygiene.

If you suspect regular mouth ulcers, apply Dolo gel CT (Choline salicylate and Lidocaine) or Dento gel (Choline salicylate and Lidocaine), or Mucopain gel (Benzocaine) to the affected area and rinse five to six times with warm water or saline solution for a week.

I hope that helped.

|