Q. I performed oral sex right after getting scaling done. What is my risk of HIV?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

A few weeks ago, I had oral sex with a female sex worker. I did oral sex initially after I came from scaling. I had bleeding from my gums. The bleeding was purely from the clean instruments used. I performed oral sex on her only around the clitoris region on the outside. She wiped herself with a wet wipe before I did oral sex around the clitoris. I used my tip of the tongue. Can I get contracted with HIV infection? What is the risk of performing oral sex for 20 to 30 minutes after the bleeding from the gums? I performed oral sex only on the outside of the vagina which was very dry, and there is no vaginal fluid present.

#

Are you aware of the HIV status of your partner? A raw wound (gums after cleaning) can contract an infection. Even though the vaginal area is dry, there is always some fluid discharge from that place. You can get a blood test for STD (sexually transmitted disease) panel to be on the safer side and avoid unprotected sexual intercourse with an unknown partner. CMIA (chemiluminescence microparticle immunoassay) is the fourth generation test. It can detect both HIV antibody and p24 antigen simultaneously due to a coating of microtiter plates with both antigen and antibody for HIV simultaneously. The p24 antigen is the first one to be detected. Antibodies come in response to antigen. So, when there is no antigen, there is no formation of an antibody. The window period is three months.

For more information consult a venereologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/venereologist

|