What can be done to stop the bleeding after a miscarriage?

Q. How can I stop continuous bleeding after miscarriage?

Answered by
Dr. Uzma Arqam
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 09, 2023

Hi doctor,

I had a miscarriage two weeks ago (three months pregnancy) and I went to the hospital. The doctor told me I have to flush everything out, which I did. But since then I have been having light bleeding with pain until last week. I had a heavy one with a thick clot and something else I cannot really describe. I immediately passed that out, the pain stopped and it was like something left me. But I am still having light bleeding. So I went back to the doctor to explain and he prescribed another drug to me, one will make me bleed and the other will stop the bleeding but I am scared. I do not know what to do again. Please help.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

You had a miscarriage and it was managed medically. Post medical induction, you can have bleeding gradually but it can be in episodes and can be extended up to 2 to 3 weeks in form of mild spotting. Stopping of bleeding is not the solution actually. Have one transvaginal scan to check if any retained products are there still inside the uterus or not. If products of conception are still inside, this bleeding is in favor of you. As naturally, the body is responding and emitting out conception products. In the case of retained products inside the vagina, you might need evacuation if you observe heavy bleeding or pain or both. Have a complete check if any health issue you have and try to have regular complete treatment. If the uterus is clean with no products of conception inside, have a complete blood count, thyroid function tests and tablet Ponstan 500 mg and tablet Tranexamic acid 500 mg 8 hourly for 2 to 5 days as per need to stop bleeding. Have laboratory tests as per given scenario and discuss. In case of heavy bleeding and pain, report to gynecology emergency. Check on any other health issue and try to have treatment for that as well.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Had Positive Pregnancy test & then bled heavily. Was it indicates miscarriage?

Hi doctor, I did a pregnancy test last week, and it was positive ... Once you have heavy bleeding, it means the inner lining of the uterus has gone, and so pregnancy cannot stay on ...   Read full

I am hyperthyroid and have polycystic ovaries. I have menstrual irregularity. Please help.

Hello doctor,So, I was in the shower earlier and I found an open wound in my arm. It was not a scab I picked. It is a hole with a black dot next to it. I recently had the Rhogam shot because I am 29 weeks pregnant.   Read full

Can bleeding after sex during pregnancy be due to miscarriage?

Hello doctor,So, I was in the shower earlier and I found an open wound in my arm. It was not a scab I picked. It is a hole with a black dot next to it. I recently had the Rhogam shot because I am 29 weeks pregnant.   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.