Q. I am 18 years old and I bleed every time after intercourse. Why?

Dr. Atika Maryam
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 01, 2020

Every time I have sex with my partner I bleed and I want to know if that is normal because I got diagnosed with chlamydia and we are still having sex (unprotected). I do not want to have cancer or anything. I am 18 years old and I am on birth control too. I just need some answers because I am so scared to tell my mom. Please help.

Dr. Atika Maryam

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Since you have chlamydia, you should get yourself properly treated for it because if not treated properly it can cause further diseases such as pelvic inflammatory disease. In your case, the history of bleed suggests that you may have developed cervicitis (which causes bleed during and after intercourse). Do not worry it is just inflammation of the cervix and it is still treatable.

I cannot make any diagnosis for sure because I have not examined you but your history is also incomplete. I would suggest you to visit your GP once for appropriate treatment after an examination.

Please practice safe and protected sex it is very important to protect you from sexually transmitted diseases in the future. The bleeding can be due to the intensity of sex (try to be gentle) you have not mentioned any such thing so I am just advising you as a doctor. Do not worry it does not seem to be cancer. No need to worry it is very much treatable. It can also be anatomical if you always bleed previously as well (all the times you had sex) get yourself properly examined.

Sexually transmitted disease. Anatomical.

CBC (complete blood count). Speculum examination. Culture.

Pelvic inflammatory disease. Cervicitis.

Sexually transmitted disease.

Antibiotics oral and topical. Protected and safe sex.

Safe sex. Sex education.

Please consult if it persists.

|