Q. I bled two days after intercourse. Is it due to nexplanon induced ectopic pregnancy?

I am 20 years old. I have a 2-year-old kid. I currently have the nexplanon implant birth control. I had a pregnancy scare a month ago but started my period finally. The day after my period stopped is when intercourse happened. Two days after that I woke up and I had a little bit of blood in my discharge my cramps were scattered through out the day I thought I was fine though. The next morning I woke up with bad cramps. I felt a trickle down my leg so I rushed to the bathroom and I was bleeding. The bleeding has slowed down since morning and my cramps went from morning to evening in pain. On my mother's side, we have miscarriages, ectopic pregnancies, tubal pregnancies, but no one on my father's side has had any problems with getting pregnant. Also, the nexplanon increases your chance of having an ectopic pregnancy. So I was wondering what this seemed? Should I worry? or is it just me getting my period again? What should I do about it? Please suggest.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Considering the fact that you are using nexplanon, it is unlikely that the bleed would be probably due to pregnancy or even ectopic simply because nexplanon is a progesterone implant which prevents ovulation, make the endometrial lining unsuitable for the implant and increases tubal motility with thickening of cervical mucous making it difficult for sperms to penetrate through. Hence pregnancy seems unlikely.

Postcoital bleeding as noticed in your case could possibly be due to cervical erosions or ectopy, which can be possibly caused by an HPV (human papilloma virus) infection or after a rough sexual episode as well. But in either case, a per speculum exam is required along with a pap smear test and an ultrasound pelvis as well to rule out any organic cause. It is not your menses for sure. So advise would be to visit your physician for a local exam first.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Will I get an ectopic pregnancy if I had sex on the date of period?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a query about my period. My actual due date for my period was 28th of last month. I had unprotected sex on the 27th. I waited two days for my period and I took emergency contraceptive on the last minute to 72 hour. My period got delayed for eight days and got it on the 5th of thi...  Read Full »

Birth Control Methods - Facts, and Types

Article Overview: Devices or treatments done to prevent unwanted pregnancy are called birth control methods.In this article, I am going to discuss all the available permanent and reversible birth control methods that you can use to plan your pregnancy. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Devices or treatments done to prevent unwanted pregnancy are called birth control methods. There are various methods available for both men and women, which enables them to choose when they want to have a baby. The effectiveness and reliability of each method rely on how carefully it is used. In thi...  Read Article

I am bleeding while on birth control. What could be the reason?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 20 years old. I am 134.3 pounds and approximately 5'6" tall. I am a new mother of 1.5 month old baby girl. I am on birth control and using the Nexplanon bar inserted into the arm postpartum. My issue is that I have started bleeding now. I am not breastfeeding and there is no milk pro...  Read Full »