Q. I had severe bleeding after intercourse. Is it quite common to bleed after sex?

Dr. Rahul Ramakrishnan
Published on Oct 06, 2019

I recently had intercourse, and there was quite a lot of bleeding. The next day it stung quite a bit, and when I urinated, it was painful to sit down. I inspected my vulva with a mirror and found a tear or rip at the base of my vulva. I searched, and I think it is at the posterior fourchette. It is 10 days since this, and there is no longer pain and discharge or bleeding. However, I can still see the tear, it is red. How long should it be before this seals over and should I avoid having sex until it does? Also, how common is it for this to happen, and will it happen every time I have sex?

Dr. Rahul Ramakrishnan

Preventive Medicine
#

According to the history given by you, apart from a vaginal tear, the following reasons can also cause similar symptoms:

1. Firstly, women can bleed post-sex if intercourse is done soon after the periods, but this does not cause pain.

2. Secondly, virgin girls can bleed initially for a few times.

3. Lastly, intercourse done without proper arousal or foreplay makes the vagina less lubricate, causing pain and bleeding.

You should visit a gynecologist for a detailed examination because sometimes tears can be deep-seated and be missed causing future problems.

My sister is suffering from severe vaginal pain. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I need an opinion regarding my elder sister. She is 52 years old. She is diabetic and is suffering from severe vaginal pain for the last few weeks. While collection of pap smear, the swab was bloody and it was very painful for her. She is currently using Candid cream and Candid V6 tablet ...  Read Full »

Why do I have vaginal pain during periods?

Query: Hi doctor, What could be the reason for vaginal pain during periods? It happens for a few minutes when the periods start and sometimes on and off on the second and third day. It is happening for many years. My periods are regular. My sonography is normal. I experience a lot of vaginal dryness and ...  Read Full »

Why do I get pain and bleeding after sex with pap smear showing CIN3?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a history of back pain and pain during intercourse as well as bleeding after. My pap smear came back CIN3. What can I expect?  Read Full »