Q. What could be the reason for vaginal pain during periods?

Dr. Aparna M Sathawane
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 23, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 14, 2020

What could be the reason for vaginal pain during periods? It happens for a few minutes when the periods start and sometimes on and off on the second and third day.

It is happening for many years. My periods are regular. My sonography is normal. I experience a lot of vaginal dryness and soreness as well.

#

I saw your sonography report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is normal although it has a different name over it and not a recent one.

Pain during menses is common, and it is called as dysmenorrhea. It is due to uterine contraction to expel blood outside and release of prostaglandin.

Also, in unmarried and those who have not delivered vaginally, the cervix is tightly closed and is normal.

You can take antispasmodic during first three days of periods.

Vaginal dryness and soreness can be due to excessive wiping of the vagina with tissue and over cleaning private parts. You can use vaginal wash liquid once a day for hygiene of private parts.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|