Q. What could be the reason for vaginal pain during periods?

Dr. Aparna M Sathawane
Published on Jul 23, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 25, 2019

What could be the reason for vaginal pain during periods? It happens for a few minutes when the periods start and sometimes on and off on the second and third day.

It is happening for many years. My periods are regular. My sonography is normal. I experience a lot of vaginal dryness and soreness as well.

Dr. Aparna M Sathawane

Childbirth Educator Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I saw your sonography report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is normal although it has a different name over it and not a recent one.

Pain during menses is common, and it is called as dysmenorrhea. It is due to uterine contraction to expel blood outside and release of prostaglandin.

Also, in unmarried and those who have not delivered vaginally, the cervix is tightly closed and is normal.

You can take antispasmodic during first three days of periods.

Vaginal dryness and soreness can be due to excessive wiping of the vagina with tissue and over cleaning private parts. You can use vaginal wash liquid once a day for hygiene of private parts.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

How does severe endometriosis affect pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife has severe endometriosis as well as several other pre-existing conditions. She was recently approved for Zoladex to treat the endometriosis. She is supposed to have her first injection in the next few days. Today we were in the emergency room. She was slightly tachycardic as wel...  Read Full >>

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Her menstrual, obstetrics, gynecological, medical, surgical, and drug history also should be described here to make things more clear. Her MRI or ultrasound report would be helpful for me to explain better. Zoladex is Goserelin acetate, that is, luteinizing hormone ...  Read Full

I am having severe cramps during periods. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,When I was in high school, I had horrible periods. Very heavy bleeding, big clots and they would last longer than a week sometimes. I never told anyone because I was embarrassed and eventually, it calmed down and they were more normal. I still had awful, awful cramps every month though unt...  Read Full >>

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms can have two causes, one is low pain threshold (pain sensitivity varies among individuals) or endometriosis. Endometriosis is less likely in your case as oral contraceptives are known to suppress it. If you are taking low dose oral contraceptive (Estrogen ...  Read Full

Why is there a mild collection in POD along with period problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 46-year-old woman. I am married, and I have children. Recently, my USG report showed uterus in anteverted position, bulky in size and shape, measuring 9.24 x 3.59 x 4.91, and the echotexture was normal. There was no fibroid or SOL seen. My midline endometrial echo was within a reg...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The USG (ultrasonography) report of the pelvis is normal with POD (pouch of Douglas) fluid. It is seen during ovulation when the scan is taken during mid-cycle. The dysmenorrhoea occurs...  Read Full