Q. How to manage nosebleed?

Dr. Arti Sharma
Published on Jul 06, 2016

My 3 year old daughter has had three nosebleeds in about 3 hours. During the nosebleeds, she said her cheek bone area close to her nose hurts. What to do?

Dr. Arti Sharma

Child Health Paediatrics
#

• A few common causes of nasal bleeding are dry air, picking of the nose, rubbing, allergies, trauma to the head or nose and nose blowing.
  • In your history I do not see any history suggestive of trauma or fall. Dry air or nasal picking is a possible cause.
  • When a child has nasal bleeding make her sit upright in a chair and tilt head slightly forward. Do not allow the child to lean back as the blood will flow to back of throat leading to gagging, cough or vomit.
  • Gently pinch the soft part of the nose (just below the bony ridge) and apply pressure for at least 10 minutes. You may also use an ice pack covered by a towel on the bridge of the nose to control bleeding.
  • If bleeding persists for more than 20 minutes and the bleeding is heavy or child is having dizziness or any other discomfort, then it is best to visit a pediatrician and get the baby examined.
  • You can follow certain tips to prevent nasal bleeding in the future. Avoid nasal blowing or picking the nose. Keep child's room humidified and regularly apply petroleum jelly such as Vaseline to the inside of nostrils to keep inside of nose moist. 

For further information consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

| 

Are bleeding through the nose and underskin common in Von Willebrand disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a Von Willebrand disease (vWD) type 3 patient. I am currently bleeding through my nostrils, having underskin blood spots and pain in my ankle. These symptoms are new to me. Please help.  Read Full »

How to Stop Nose Bleeds?

Article Overview: Bleeding from the nose or epistaxis is a very common condition and usually nothing to worry about. This article discusses the steps for managing an active nose bleed. Read Article

Dr. Jagdish Chaturvedi

Why does the Nose Bleed? It is common in children during hot and dry weather conditions.  Bleeding of up to 50-100 mL is common in bleeding due to dryness. This happens because of disturbance in the mucociliary clearance which means that the hair like cells that form the ...  Read Article

Ask a Child Health Specialist Now