Q. How to manage nosebleed?

Dr. Arti Sharma
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 26, 2020

My 3 year old daughter has had three nosebleeds in about 3 hours. During the nosebleeds, she said her cheek bone area close to her nose hurts. What to do?

#

• A few common causes of nasal bleeding are dry air, picking of the nose, rubbing, allergies, trauma to the head or nose and nose blowing.
  • In your history I do not see any history suggestive of trauma or fall. Dry air or nasal picking is a possible cause.
  • When a child has nasal bleeding make her sit upright in a chair and tilt head slightly forward. Do not allow the child to lean back as the blood will flow to back of throat leading to gagging, cough or vomit.
  • Gently pinch the soft part of the nose (just below the bony ridge) and apply pressure for at least 10 minutes. You may also use an ice pack covered by a towel on the bridge of the nose to control bleeding.
  • If bleeding persists for more than 20 minutes and the bleeding is heavy or child is having dizziness or any other discomfort, then it is best to visit a pediatrician and get the baby examined.
  • You can follow certain tips to prevent nasal bleeding in the future. Avoid nasal blowing or picking the nose. Keep child's room humidified and regularly apply petroleum jelly such as Vaseline to the inside of nostrils to keep inside of nose moist. 

For further information consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

|