Q. I am coughing for last one month. Do I have tuberculosis?

Dr. Penchilaprasad Kandikattu

I am 33 years old. I am coughing from last 1 month. In between, it was alright but again started. I do not have any fever, nor chest pain. Even the sputum which comes out is also normal in color. I do not have any problem with sleeping or normal breathing. But, in case when I breathe out from the mouth, I get some feeling inside throat to the chest, and I begin to cough. Currently, I am having cold, and my nasal chambers are all blocked. I have not taken any medicine till now. Not sure whether I have TB.

#

Maybe you are suffering from an allergic variety of cough. It may be due to allergens or environmental pollution. Avoid cool drinks, sweets, and ice creams. Use salt water gargling, water vapor inhalation thrice a day. Use tablet Montus (Levocetirizine and Montelukast) at night after dinner for 2 weeks, tablet Cefdox (Cefpodoxime proxetil) 500 mg twice a day for five days and tablet Deriphyllin twice a day for five days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medications with their consent.

If you are suffering from weight loss or evening rise of temperature or night sweats, then there is a possibility of pulmonary tuberculosis.

You need few tests like CBP, chest X-ray, early morning sputum for gram staining, acid-fast staining and culture sensitivity and absolute eosinophil count.

If symptoms are not improved, please consult your pulmonologist. He will examine and treat you accordingly or post the reports to me.

For more information consult a general medicine physician --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|