Q. My 2-year-old kid facing gum bleeding with sore tongue post fever episode. Why?

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

My 2-year-old daughter is experiencing severe bleeding in her gums. Prior to this, she has a fever and sore on her tongue and somewhere near the tonsil. Please help.

#

I understand your concern when it is a kid's matter. First of all, I would suggest you look in her oral cavity properly if she has caused any toothbrush injury or any source of bleeding if available. For bleeding gums, you apply a cold compress or ice packs right now at the affected site. Next, make her do salt warm water rinse if possible.

One home remedy with honey is effective, you can take honey at your fingertip and apply all over her gumlines properly. Kindly make sure she does not brush in upward downward motions rather in a circular motion. Brush her teeth twice daily and bristles of her brush should be soft.

Apply a bit of toothpaste two to three minutes before brushing all over her gumlines and then brush after one to two minutes, but make sure she should not swallow it. Give her gums smooth finger massage after she has done brushing. Make her rinse her mouth properly after every meal.

Kindly post me about the updates.

But is it not something serious? Like indication for more serious disease?

#

If it is simply bleeding gums and stops by the above given remedies and does not relapse back then it is not anything severe. But as you have reported she had a fever earlier, if there are further sore gums and more then that is really indicative of severity.

Kindly do revert back about the improvements. Keep checking her for every change in the oral cavity.

|