Q. I have to undergo eyelids lift surgery. Will a tube be inserted inside my throat during surgery?

Dr. Yatish Anant Jadhav
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 05, 2020

I am going to have the muscles shortened in both eyes and then my eyelids lifted. They say I will be asleep when these muscles are shortened and then they will wake me up so I can talk and move my eyes. Will they put a tube down my throat? I am so scared about having this done as I panic when a lot of people get around me. I was in a serious car several years ago and it took for the medical personnel an hour to get me out.

Dr. Yatish Anant Jadhav

Anesthesiology
#

As far as anesthesia is concerned in your case, the eyelid surgery may be done under general anesthesia which does require securing your airway safely. Prior to securing the airway, you will be given injectable medications to make you fall asleep so that you do not remember and also you are not aware of the procedure when it is being done. So I would suggest you not to worry.

As general anesthesia is a safe procedure when given by an experienced anesthetist. Now let me tell you about either of two tubes that may be used for the procedure are laryngeal mask airway (LMA) and endotracheal tube. LMA has advantages over endotracheal tube of less postoperative sore throat and lesser intraoperative rise in blood pressure and heart rate. This insertion and removal of airway tubes are safely done while you are unconscious so you are not aware of the procedure. So please do not worry. General anesthesia is given meticulously nowadays and patient safety is a primary concern.

| 

Can I undergo surgery for Basal Cell Carcinoma under local anesthesia?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am 60 year old healthy female with medically controlled hypertension. I have Behcet’s disease, though mostly under control. I have had various tropical diseases. I also had hepatitis A at childhood, and TB meningitis. I also have scoliosis.  I have been diagnosed BCC (Basal...  Read Full »

What are 500 cc breast implants?

Query: Hello doctor, Is a 600 cc breast implant the same as a 500 cc implant filled to 600 cc? Is a 500 cc implant filled to 600 cc considered extremely large with more chance of rupture? Is going from A cup to C cup (350 cc) then going from C cup to possible D cup (500 cc filled to 600 cc) that big of a ...  Read Full »

Ask an Anesthesiologist Now