Q. My ultrasound showed no fetus pole and yolk sac. Is it blighted ovum?

I am 7 weeks pregnant according to my last LMP. I got a scan on the sixth of this month, which showed 5 weeks and 5 days pregnancy, gestational sac 8.5mm, no fetus pole, and yolk sac. My doctor said we will repeat the scan after a week and will terminate the pregnancy. This is my second pregnancy, and the first pregnancy was terminated at 7 weeks and 1 day because of a blighted ovum. What should I do now? Is this a blighted ovum? Can anything be done for blighted ovum or growth of the fetus? How long should we wait before terminating the pregnancy?

#

How are you doing? I am sorry for the previous loss. This time again it does not look very promising.

• Usually, by six weeks of pregnancy, fetal heart beat should be seen on the scan. Either the baby is not yet 6 weeks, so what the doctor said is right, you wait for a week. If the baby is healthy, then by the end of this week, fetal heart beat should be seen. Or else it is a blighted ovum where the sac will no longer grow, and you will have to terminate it.
  • Most common cause of miscarriages within the first 2 to 3 months is due to the blighted ovum, also called anembryonic gestation. Genetic problem is the cause for this. Only a genetically healthy sperm and genetically healthy egg can form a genetically healthy embryo and thereby a healthy baby.
  • The possible steps you can take are as follows:
  1. Rule out diabetes by doing fasting and postprandial blood sugars.
  2. Thyroid profile of both.
  3. Semen analysis. Any problem in count, motility, and morphology.
  4. Both of you should avoid fever during the time of conceiving.
  5. The husband should avoid smoking, tobacco, alcohol, and avoid passive smoking too. Avoid exposure to paints, petroleum, varnish, chemical pesticides, radioactive products, etc.
  6. Before trying for next pregnancy, have tablet Folic acid from a month.

Do not lose hope. You have got pregnant twice. Unfortunately, it ended on the wrong note. Hope I have clarified queries. Do write back if any more queries. All the best.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|