Q. Will diabetes during pregnancy affect the baby?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 31, 2020

My sister is 21 years old with type 1 diabetes. When she was 35 weeks pregnant, she had a cesarean section delivery. The baby's heartbeat stopped and they could not get it started. The doctors are blaming it to be due to diabetes. They said that the baby's blood acid was 25, which is five times higher than normal. Her blood sugar was 25 at the time of delivery, because they gave her a glass of orange juice. This does not sound right. Please explain her condition to me.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

We are here to help you.

• Diabetes is a big problem and so, the pregnancy during diabetes is labeled as high risk pregnancy.
  • It is very uncertain to know what side effect might occur. However, the side effects can vary from person to person.
  • It is very difficult to comment about what actually might have happened to the baby.
  • If the sugar level gets low during cesarean section, then yes the baby is at risk.
  • High blood sugar instantly does not stop the heart or affect the baby. It affects the mother by making her more prone to infection and diabetic ketoacidosis (body produces excess ketones).
  • Uncontrolled blood sugar during pregnancy will affect the baby.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|