Q. My nasal passage gets blocked at night resulting continuous sneeze in the morning. Please help.

Dr. Syed Tehmid

At night time while sleeping, the nasal passage of mine gets blocked. This results in the stuffy nose in the morning once I get up in the morning and I had to continuously sneeze for a long time in the morning hours. Whenever I take Cetrizine, or Levocetirizine, or L-Montas tablets at night time I get relief from this problem. But consumption of this tablet makes me feel sleepy, and drowsy throughout the day time. Please help.

I am currently on Glycomet-HS 1000 and Nexpro-40.

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

As per your symptoms of nasal congestion and sneezing you are likely to be suffering from allergic rhinitis. One thing that is prime importance is avoidance of allergens. Then there is also the role of steroids. Since you are diabetic, systemic steroids are better avoided. However topical steroid sprays can be used safely. Are you using any steroid nasal sprays?

| 

So far I have not used any nasal sprays. I am starting with Duonase nasal spray from today as per advice of one of my doctor friend. Is it fine? Please advise.

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Duonase (Fluticasone propionate) is good. You should start with a couple of puffs twice a day for 15 days then taper to two puffs once a day for the next 15 days, then one puff once a day for 15 days and then stop.

However, remember any treatment for nasal allergies is bound to yield less than optimal results if one does not avoid exposure to dust and other allergens. Of particular importance is the avoidance of household dust. This contains a mite which acts as an allergen and is probably the most important allergen in case of perennial rhinitis. So regularly change curtains, pillow and bed covers, and sheets. Further do not enter a room for 30 minutes after cleaning. Similarly, wear masks to avoid other allergens like pollen and dust.

|