Q. My father underwent surgery for blood clot in brain. Is there any chance of recurrence?

Dr. Rajyaguru
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hema
Published on Oct 09, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 10, 2019

My father underwent surgery for a blood clot in his brain before 10 months. Doctor said that the surgery was done twice as the clot was not removed properly for the first time.

My father is totally fine now, but I want to know if there is any possibility for the clot to occur again. He is on his medication for high blood pressure. Please give an opinion.

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Surgery
#

I reviewed the scan reports of your father. The clot that he had is called chronic subdural hematoma which usually occurs in aged person due to brain shrinkage. Due to shrinkage in the brain a space is created between brain and skull. If the bridging vessels in the space got injured,hematoma can occur in due course of time.

In your father's case eventhough the hematoma has been removed, there is still some space between brain and skull which is likely (20 to 30 %) to cause hematoma.

You can prevent them by avoiding even smallest injury to the head and avoid dehydration. Keep him hydrated always. Hope this would help.

The MRI of the brain shows a blood clot. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My aunt, who is 54 years old, is diabetic since the past 10 years, and she is under regular Insulin. 10 days back, she suddenly lost speech, and since then, she is not able to speak even a single word. I am attaching her CT scan and MRI scan reports along with the prescription. What i...  Read Full >>

Dr. Arun Tungaria
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The problem is insufficient blood supply to the brain. It is a severe problem. The prescribed medicines are alright. Please consult a neurosurgeon so that he can examine her. She will recover fro...  Read Full

Is my dad's heart weakening after having a stuttering stroke?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about my father. He is a healthy 75 years old, eats healthy, drinks at least two liters water a day. He has since five years atrial fibrillation and gets for that Xarelto 15 mg and Amlodipine accord 5 mg, takes them in the morning and that was always good. Unfortunat...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In atrial fibrillation, the heart beats can vary in frequency and height (amplitude). What is more important in these patients is that the rate needs to be controlled and not above 100 beats per minute. Also, one must make sure that no clot forms in the heart due to ...  Read Full

I was left with a hole in the skull after hematoma evacuation. Is it safe?

Query: Hi doctor,Seven months ago, I had a serious head injury. That time, I was left with a small hole in the skull after extradural hematoma evacuation. Then, I had no discomfort in the head. Now, I have terrible tension around the back of the head and dull pressure and pain next to the hole. I feel hyp...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. A small piece of the skull bone could be cut and the hole in the bone was made. According to the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), there is no residual brain damage. Under these circumstances, I can explain your headache as follows. The pain a...  Read Full