Q. My father underwent surgery for blood clot in brain. Is there any chance of recurrence?

Dr. Rajyaguru
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 09, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 10, 2019

My father underwent surgery for a blood clot in his brain before 10 months. Doctor said that the surgery was done twice as the clot was not removed properly for the first time.

My father is totally fine now, but I want to know if there is any possibility for the clot to occur again. He is on his medication for high blood pressure. Please give an opinion.

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Surgery
#

I reviewed the scan reports of your father. The clot that he had is called chronic subdural hematoma which usually occurs in aged person due to brain shrinkage. Due to shrinkage in the brain a space is created between brain and skull. If the bridging vessels in the space got injured,hematoma can occur in due course of time.

In your father's case eventhough the hematoma has been removed, there is still some space between brain and skull which is likely (20 to 30 %) to cause hematoma.

You can prevent them by avoiding even smallest injury to the head and avoid dehydration. Keep him hydrated always. Hope this would help.

| 

I had a gynecomastia surgery last week. Why is fluid getting accumulated in my right breast?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a gynecomastia surgery last week, and a week later my right breast was swollen. So, I went to see my doctor, and he said I have fluid accumulated in my chest. He opened my stitches and placed a scissor inside, and took out the fluid and blood, and closed the incision. It was very pa...  Read Full »

The MRI of the brain shows a blood clot. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My aunt, who is 54 years old, is diabetic since the past 10 years, and she is under regular Insulin. 10 days back, she suddenly lost speech, and since then, she is not able to speak even a single word. I am attaching her CT scan and MRI scan reports along with the prescription. What i...  Read Full »

How to prevent clots and blockages after an ischemic stroke?

Query: Hello doctor, My 71 year old mother got a couple of ischemic strokes nearly two months ago. She was then given a strong blood thinning injection which led to a couple of blood vomits and a hemorrhage as well. During the hospitalization as well as afterward, she has been taking Pradaxa 110, etc. (pr...  Read Full »