Q. My father underwent surgery for blood clot in brain. Is there any chance of recurrence?

Dr. Rajyaguru
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 09, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 10, 2019

My father underwent surgery for a blood clot in his brain before 10 months. Doctor said that the surgery was done twice as the clot was not removed properly for the first time.

My father is totally fine now, but I want to know if there is any possibility for the clot to occur again. He is on his medication for high blood pressure. Please give an opinion.

#

I reviewed the scan reports of your father. The clot that he had is called chronic subdural hematoma which usually occurs in aged person due to brain shrinkage. Due to shrinkage in the brain a space is created between brain and skull. If the bridging vessels in the space got injured,hematoma can occur in due course of time.

In your father's case eventhough the hematoma has been removed, there is still some space between brain and skull which is likely (20 to 30 %) to cause hematoma.

You can prevent them by avoiding even smallest injury to the head and avoid dehydration. Keep him hydrated always. Hope this would help.

|