Q. Is taking Xarelto the only treatment option for pulmonary embolism?

Dr. Smrita Singh

I am a 43 year old male. I have been taking Xarelto for about a year-and-a-half due to a pulmonary embolism that I had. They were very small. I have done every test including the factor 5 and the conclusion was my constant driving. My biggest fear is obviously getting another blood clot which I know you can get one while taking Xarelto. Obviously, every ache and pain I think that I have another one. Sometimes, I do get mild cramping in my legs but it comes and goes. My biggest question is if I was to get another blood clot. Is basically the only thing that can be done is just continuing to take Xarelto?

Dr. Smrita Singh

Hematology Pathology
#

Xarelto is the brand name for the generic drug Rivaroxaban. It blocks the activity of certain clotting factors in the blood.

It is used to prevent or treat deep vein thrombosis in which blood clots form in the deep veins of the legs. This can lead to pulmonary embolism in certain cases as in yours and can be fatal.

Your current medication comprising of Xarelto daily is a form of prophylaxis to prevent the occurrence of deep vein thrombosis. The dose is lower than that when you are being treated for deep vein thrombosis.

There are other anticoagulants which can be used but Xarelto is preferred.

If you were to get another episode of deep vein thrombosis, the treatment would differ. Deep vein thrombosis is associated with prolonged periods of inactivity, inherited clotting disorders, surgery, and certain cancers. Since in your case it is due to driving for prolonged periods, you could reduce that and try and walk around every 15 to 20 minutes.

If you smoke, then you should stop that as well. Thank you.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|