Q. How to prevent blood clot in case of factor V clotting disorder?

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 24, 2021

I am a 37 year old male with factor V clotting disorder. How can I prevent blood clot?

#

• Most people with factor V Leiden never have any symptoms. But, some are at a higher risk of getting blood clots, especially in the leg or the lungs.
  • When clots do occur, they can cause, warmth, redness, pain, and swelling in the leg. These are symptoms of a condition called deep vein thrombosis. It is a blood clot in a vein deep in the leg.
  • Breathing problems, sharp chest pain, coughing, and fast heartbeat are the symptoms of a condition called pulmonary embolism. It is a blood clot in the lungs. It usually comes from a blot clot in the leg that breaks off and travels to the lungs.
  • To prevent this, the best thing you can do is move your legs often. This keeps the blood moving. Not moving for an extended period of time can increase your risk of clots. Examples are having surgery, being stuck in bed, or taking long travel.
  • To prevent a clot on travel, you can stand up and walk around every hour or 2 (or if driving, take breaks often). You should wear loose, comfortable clothes, often change your sitting position and move your legs and feet often, drink plenty of fluids, wear knee-high compression stockings, especially if you get leg swelling.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|