Q. I have swelling on tongue and feet with history of kidney problem, HTN, and diabetes. Please help.

Dr. Zubayeralam

I have swelling on my feet and tongue as well. KFT report was normal only my creatinin was 1.6. It is a chronic problem. I have already used Lasilactone 50 mg and Torsemide 10 mg. But no relief. I use insulin Mixtard 40 units twice and Galvus Met 50/850 1 bd for my diabetes type 2. Maybe Galvus causing swelling so I stopped it recently and want to switch over to Janumet.

#

According to your statement, you are suffering from chronic kidney disease. Now you have swelling on feet, ankles, and tongues. You have DM (diabetes mellitus) for 20 years.

Do you suffer from an allergy? Or are you allergic to some foods, medications, irritants, etc? Hypersensitivity reaction can be a cause for your present swelling. Again you are a patient of chronic kidney disease, so you can suffer from anemia either caused by chronic disease or vitamin B12 deficiency due to taking Metformin for DM. If you have anemia, you can suffer from the present swelling too.

Again you are using drug like Solitral for BPH, Telma for HTN (hypertension) can cause swelling as their side effects and hypersensitivity reaction. In case of heart failure, liver diseases, obstructive uropathy, hormonal problem, etc., can cause swelling too.

So you should undergo some investigations like CBC (complete blood count), HB% (hemoglobin), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) to detect anemia status at present, USG (ultrasound) to detect obstructive uropathy or any other abnormalities.

Skin prick test, RAST test to detect hypersensitivity or allergens, thyroid hormone (T3, T4, TSH) to detect hormonal deficiency, CXR (chest x-ray) to detect any abnormality in the chest, ECG (electrocardiogram) for cardiac status, liver function test, serum electrolytes, etc.

At first, we should find out the causes that are responsible for the swelling and then treat them accordingly. So you should continue your current medications and inform me after getting the investigation results in your hand, then I will try to treat you further.

Yes, I had acute anemia with hemoglobin going down up to 8% but now it is 12.7%.

#

Anemia is one of the important causes which are responsible for swelling. So you can exclude CBC with HB% with ESR test but you should undergo the rest of the above mentioned tests to pick up the responsible factors for your swelling.

|