Q. Will blood donation affect blood test results?

Dr. Sugandh Garg
Published on Nov 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 21, 2019

I have a few queries about blood donation. I am traveling abroad for joining a new company there and I will have medical tests, which includes blood tests for all lipid profile, cholesterol, liver tests, hemoglobin, WBC, RBC, platelets, etc., and for HIV, hepatitis, etc. I am a regular blood donor and planning to donate blood 10 days before my travel. Does this blood donation affect my medical tests? I am having medicine Cernos for testosterone. Does this medicine affect blood for blood donation? Please clarify my doubt.

Dr. Sugandh Garg

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Toxicology
#

• Blood donation will not affect your blood reports. However, for blood donation your medical reports that is overall health should be good and that includes all tests to be normal irrespective of blood donation.
  • For what ailment are you taking the hormone testosterone? Do you have a valid prescription? Please do present the same at the time of medical tests and blood donation for the record.
  • The hormonal pill for testosterone would not pose any problem and you can go ahead with blood donation. You may mention this point to the doctor at the time of blood donation.

Revert back with the reports to a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

| 

I am taking Amlodipine for BP. Do I need to change the medication?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. My BP is 180/90. After consulting a physician I am taking tablet Amlong 5 mg one full in the morning and half in the night. Post using this tablet my BP is 120/80 and sometimes shoots up to 140/80. I am on this medication for the past two years. I got a complete routi...  Read Full »

Am I gaining weight because of low testosterone level?

Query: Hello doctor, My current weight is 92 kg, and my height is 5 feet 8 inches. I have a regular weight gain problem. In the past, I have got done tests like thyroid, testosterone, and cortisol. Please advise if any other test can be done to diagnose a problem. I have a very strict diet and exercise....  Read Full »

Should I get a bone marrow biopsy to rule out possible MPN?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 49-year-old female who has chronic health problems going back for awhile. Originally, I was told I had lupus but now I am beginning to think it is something else. Nine months back, I consulted an orthopedic surgeon due to suspected necrosis in left hip, after an arthrogram was don...  Read Full »