Q. Does low level of testosterone cause weight gain issues?

Dr. Vivek Chail
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 12, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 24, 2019

My current weight is 92 kg, and my height is 5 feet 8 inches. I have a regular weight gain problem.

In the past, I have got done tests like thyroid, testosterone, and cortisol. Please advise if any other test can be done to diagnose a problem. I have a very strict diet and exercise. I do not have cold drinks and fried food. But still, I am gaining weight. Also is the testosterone in the attached report less enough to cause any weight gain issues?

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below.

If obesity runs in your family, then that might have influenced your weight gain. Such weight gain is genetic and therefore if your parents and relatives have a tendency of obesity then it is genetic and no other test is required.

In males, stress-related anxiety plays an important role in weight gain. Many men gain weight due to increased mental stress. If you have any such stressful factors causing your weight gain, then please do mind relaxation exercises and being happy and cheerful will help in weight management.

Eating also influences weight gain. Even if you are strict with the food you eat, please eat multiple small meals instead of a few large meals. This will distribute the calories evenly and you will not over eat. You might have daily 2200 kcal diet with small meals every 3 - 4 hours.

As per your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your testosterone level is near the lower limit and this is also related to obesity. It should be at mid-level. If you balance your stress levels and have a good healthy diet then your testosterone might get back to the mid-range. However, please avoid taking testosterone supplement because it can be harmful and have long term side effects like hair loss.

Please do exercises for 30 minutes everyday and yoga for 30 minutes.

Please get detailed evaluation done for diabetes. This should include fasting blood glucose, post prandial blood glucose and HbA1c blood test.

Genetic, stress, over eating or diabetes related weight gain.

Life style changes, confirmation of any medical condition like diabetes and intake of low fat diet.

Thanks for your reply doctor.

I had done regular exercise till 4 months back, two hours of lawn tennis daily. Now I am injured with back pain and elbow. Which has made weight control very difficult? I am generally a very sporty person, but now I cannot increase my exercise level due to injuries.

Regarding testosterone, if you do not advise any supplements for testosterone, is there anything else I can do get my testosterone level up?Also attached reports of diabetes screen HbA1c and ABG. Out of the 3 tests you had advice, 2 are already done. Do you additionally suggest postprandial blood glucose or is it not required based on the results of the other 2 tests? Do HbA1C and ABG confirm that I have no diabetes-related issue?

#

You do not have diabetes because HbA1c is 5.2 and normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is no requirement for postprandial blood sugar test.

It is possible that your injury has caused you not to participate in active playing for 4 months and that is the reason for your weight gain. Four months are enough for any injury to heal unless it was severe. I recommend you consult a physiotherapist and start doing exercises which might benefit you and cause least pain and discomfort.

Testosterone is increased by good weight control, reduced stress, taking the right fats and avoiding bad ones. You might add a multivitamin tablet like A to Z tablet once daily. This will provide essential vitamins and minerals which will balance your testosterone.

|