Q. Am I diabetic or prediabetic or IGT?

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 21, 2020

My friend advised me to check my glucose on her glucometer. The results were as follows after eating a meal with the following nutrition specs: Carbohydrates 98 g, fiber 21 g, protein 28 g, fat: 27 g, saturated fat: 4.5 g, calories: 720. Blood sugar after 1 hour 113, after 2 hours 131 and after 3 hours 121. Am I diabetic or pre-diabetic or IGT? I have never had an OGTT or any other test for diabetes before.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

#

• Why are you worried that you have diabetes?
  • Do you have polyuria that is increased frequency or volume of urination or any positive family history or numbness of the feet?
  • Whatever the cause might be with the values you have sent I can assure you that you are not even prediabetic
  • If you want to confirm, then you can go for OGTT (oral glucose tolerance test) with 50 g 1 hour, 75 g 2 hours or 100 g 3 hours test which will monitor your body's ability to break down glucose following a fixed glucose load. Only glucose no other protein or fiber.
  • More important is your fasting blood sugar following 8-12 hours of fasting. You may drink water.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Why am I urinating more than 10 times a day?

Query: Hi doctor, I have to pee a lot of times a day though I do not have to wake up at night to go to the toilet. I have control over pressure, but I have to go more than 10 times a day. Also, I have to pass the stool after every meal. Why?  Read Full »

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article