Q. I am suggested to maintain my fasting glucose level below 95 as I am pregnant. Please help.

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Why is my fasting glucose always high? My range is 110 to 115. Doctors tell that I should maintain below 95 as I m currently pregnant. My afternoon and dinner values are within the range. Please help.

Do you have a question on Blood Glucose Level or Pregnancy Health?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader

MBBS., MD(ENDOCRINOLOGY & METABOLISM
Endocrinology

Traditionally soluble insulin is the agent of choice for uncontrolled DM (diabetes mellitus) or GDM (gestational diabetes mellitus) in pregnancy. Rapid acting analog insulin aspart is a safer choice along with diet and tolerable exercise. Diet and exercise are tried first. Nowadays, many of the guidelines allow Metformin in gestational diabetes. As you are obese with controlled postprandial glycaemic profile, Metformin could be given 500 mg at night after a meal along with diet and tolerable exercise.

Can blood glucose around 100 to 105 and high lipids cause any nerve related symptoms?
Query: Hi doctor, I have developed symptoms of nerve dysfunction (burning, tingling, etc.) but all the nerve related tests were normal. Over the past 9 to 12 months, my diet was poor, I am about 70 pounds overweight, age 40, and have high LDL. My blood glucose last year was 86, then it went up to 97 by th...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the details given. The glucose levels mentioned are normal. Only 106 mg shows a pre-diabetic fasting level. These levels are unlikely to affect the nerve function. From your information, I get a feeling that you do not have diabetes. Is that right? In tha...  Read Full

Why am I urinating more than 10 times a day?
Query: Hi doctor, I have to pee a lot of times a day though I do not have to wake up at night to go to the toilet. I have control over pressure, but I have to go more than 10 times a day. Also, I have to pass the stool after every meal. Why?  Read Full >>
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please measure your fasting and postprandial blood glucose level as you might have diabetes. It is usually accompanied with increased thirst and increased hunger. Also, please get a urine analysis as you might have a urinary tract infection. It is usually accompanied with...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now