Q. My hbA1c is 7. 3 and morning glucose level is always high. What to do?

Dr. Minal Mohit Vohra
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jul 30, 2019

My HbA1c ie average blood sugar level of the last three months is 7.3. I am taking Janumet 500 mg twice daily, but recently my morning blood sugar level in empty stomach is always 140 or more. Why?

Dr. Minal Mohit Vohra

Endocrinology
#

Your present values are a little high. Let us make two changes.

1. Please make tablet Janumet 50/1000 mg (Sitagliptin and Metformin) twice a day.

2. Add tablet Empagliflozin 25 mg once a day before breakfast. Recheck your fasting and postprandial after 15 days and let me know. Add some antacid tablet if you feel bloating or gaseous distension.

Please consult your treating doctor, discuss the suggestion and take the treatment with consent.

They have Forxiga, and not the one you have suggested. Is that fine?

Dr. Minal Mohit Vohra

Endocrinology
#

Forxiga 10 mg is Dapagliflozin. Yes, it can be taken in place of Empagliflozin 25 mg.

What are the ways to reduce fasting blood sugar levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 49 years old, moderately active, all biochemical parameters mid-range normal. Fasting sugar levels steady at 147 to 149, PP 159 to 250, drops to 80 to 105 at about 6 PM, after lunch at 1.30 to 2 PM. I am having (Glycomet Trio1 and Glycomet GP1) twice a day. Am unable to understan...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns. Great fluctuations in blood sugar level are common in diabetics. Your treatment is suitable but it may require some small modifications. My advice in order to have better control is that you have to eat a small meal between the main meals. St...  Read Full

Fasting sugar level is higher than postprandial level. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother's fasting sugar is higher than the post prandial sugar (130 and 115 respectively). She had normal diet only. And also, 2 hours after taking 75 grams of glucose, without any work, the sugar level is 260. Why is this happening?  Read Full >>

Dr. Kaveri Dandapani
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding blood sugar levels, if a patient is diabetic and if she is on oral medication for diabetes, the sugar levels can be as have you stated (fasting blood sugar level more than the post prandial blood sugar). This happens because most of the anti-diabetic medicatio...  Read Full

What are the side effects of Glycomet SR 500 mg?

Query: Hi doctor, I am in the initial stage of diabetes. I have been diagnosed before a year only. I walk 7 km a day and five days a week. Still, my present medication does not maintain my glucose levels. My average fasting blood sugar level is 140. I am currently on Glycomet 250 and I am wondering if I sh...  Read Full >>

Dr. Suneetha B S
Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. From your blood glucose levels, it is clear that the medication you are taking is not sufficient to control your blood glucose. You have not mentioned if you are taking Glycomet 250 once or twice a day. If you are taking Glycomet 25...  Read Full

Ask an Endocrinologist Now