Q. Shall I switch to Glycomet SR 500 mg to control my glucose?

Dr. Suneetha B S

I am in the initial stage of diabetes. I have been diagnosed before a year only. I walk 7 km a day and five days a week. Still, my present medication does not maintain my glucose levels.

My average fasting blood sugar level is 140. I am currently on Glycomet 250 and I am wondering if I should switch to 500 mg SR. I am also concerned about if this stronger medication will affect my kidney function.

My medication is only dealing with control of glucose level and no dietary supplements to improve pancreas function. Do you suggest any medication or supplements?

During sonography for another issue, my doctor mentioned that I have a lot of fat around the liver, which I guess can also contribute to diabetes. I am doing exercise to reduce overall fat.

Do you suggest something else to reduce this fat? I am a 32 year old male. My height is 170 cm and my weight is 82 kg.

Do you have a question on Diabetes or Metformin?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Suneetha B S

MBBS
Diabetology Microbiology Nutritionist

I understand your concern.

• From your blood glucose levels, it is clear that the medication you are taking is not sufficient to control your blood glucose. You have not mentioned if you are taking Glycomet 250 once or twice a day.
  • If you are taking Glycomet 250 once a day, then it would be a good option to switch to 500 mg SR. Glycomet contains Metformin, which is the best drug for first line treatment of diabetes. It is a relatively safe drug and you can take it.
  • Regarding your concern about Metformin affecting kidney function, I would like to tell you that high blood glucose levels definitely affect kidney function, while Metformin has been taken by people having diabetes for decades without any side effects.
  • If you search the internet for side effects, you will see that every medicine, including the harmless Paracetamol has deadly side effects. At this stage, I advise you to focus on reducing your blood glucose level.
  • There is no magic recipe to improve pancreas function. Unproven research says food like garlic, mushroom, broccoli, spinach and tomatoes are good for improving pancreatic health. While this is not proven yet, there is no harm in trying.
  • Fatty liver is a very common condition. Garlic can help to reduce it slowly with regular intake. Regular physical exercise and weight reduction can also help. It is good to avoid intake of oily, fat rich food, deep fried food, food containing cream, bakery food and red meat like mutton, pork and beef.
  • I advise you to regularly test lipid profile and liver function tests once in six months and ultrasonography of the abdomen once in a year to check progress.

For further information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

I will start with Glycomet SR 500 mg. Can you confirm what is the best time to take this? I will increase my exercise and improve my diet and nutrition.

Dr. Suneetha B S

MBBS
Diabetology Microbiology Nutritionist

You can take Metformin in the morning after breakfast or in the night after dinner. Choose the time most convenient for you and always stick to that time of the day. That way your body will understand the pattern.

For further information consult a diabetologist online.-->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

What is the acceptable range for blood glucose levels?
Query: Hello doctor, I have gotten different answers from various different doctors on this question. Maybe, you can give me a straight answer. What is the acceptable range for blood glucose levels? Some people say the lower end is 70 and some others say the lower end is 130. Please explain.  Read Full »
Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Many types of blood sugar testings are there, and the values for that are different. But worldwide, the most commonly used tests for the detection of diabetes are Fasting Blood Sugar and Post Prandial Blood Sugar. Fasting blood sugar test is done by taking the blood sa...  Read Full »

Can I use Metformin for diabetes prevention and weight loss?
Query: Hello doctor, I read over the internet that tablet Metformin helps decrease the weight and prevents the onset of diabetes. Both my parents are diabetics and I weigh 70 kg. Hence, I want to use Metformin for diabetes prevention and weight loss. Yesterday, I took 500 mg and I do not feel any problem...  Read Full »
Dr. Akshay Upadhyay

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest you do not take the tablet if you are not clinically diagnosed as diabetic as it could lead to serious problems. I would strongly advise you to not to take it anymore. To prevent diabetes, one has to change the lifestyle like diet, and have to do exercise or ...  Read Full »

How to manage diabetes?
Query: Hi doctor, My father is suffering from diabetes. His blood sugar values are around 350-470 in the report. Earlier, he never had such a problem. Please provide some solution and help us to get it cured.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it is found that your father has overt diabetes and should be managed efficiently to prevent the complications. There are two ways of diabetes management: Lifestyle changes - It includes diabetic diet,...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now