Q. I found blood in my stool. Is it a sign of bowel cancer?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 30, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 23, 2019

I am a 30 year old woman. I found blood in my stool this morning, for the first time in life. I am sure that is not period. Is it a sign of bowel cancer?

#

I assure you not to worry a lot as things can be settled with proper care and follow up. There are some reasons for fresh blood in stools, with stools, before or after stools other than menstrual blood.First of all, it may be hemorrhoids. You may have felt some dilated small lesions on the anal opening before or after passing stools ( if this was bleeding hemorrhoid). It is due to a disease named portal hypertension and you need to follow it up and it will settle down with treatment. Your general surgeon is the person to decide the stage of hemorrhoids and treatment goes accordingly. He may do proctoscopy, colonoscopy or digital rectal examination.

The other cause is anal fissure bleed. When stools get hard due to constipation and when patient forcibly defecates, it causes a breach in the mucosal lining of the rectum and anus and it bleeds in the form of fresh blood. Lactulose syrup, whole grain foods, dietary fiber supplements, plenty of fluids and a good physical activity will help improve this condition. But it may also need treatment with antibiotics to avoid severe infection. General surgeon consultation for a physical examination is my suggestion.

Last but not least is the cancerous growth. It is serious but less likely in your case. But if you have a family history of colon cancer, have a change in bowel habits, lost weight, loss in appetite, constipation or diarrhea, You may be having cancer. A general surgeon will diagnose with colonoscopy and barium tests through radiologic studies.

Final suggestion - avoid constipation, keep a good physical activity, avoid fast foods, processed meats, low fiber diet, and soft drinks. Go to a general surgeon in person for proper evaluation and treatment.

For the past 2 months I have been having severe head and neck stiffness problem for which I consulted a neurologist.

In addition to this, I am having bowel issues too. Two months back everything was normal. Since the last 45 days, my bowel movements have become too frequent, almost 4 movements in 5 days. Sometimes my head trembles too much and it seems I might faint, but it subsides only after bowel movement and passing out. I have been taking Inderal 10, Shine 10, Sibelium, Naproxen medicines for the past 3 weeks.

Today for the first time in my life I noticed red blood in my stool. I am really worried.

#

Yes, there may be anything related to the colon (large intestine), rectum, or anus. Its possibilities as aforementioned and may also be serious. Please make an appointment with a consultant surgeon as soon as possible for expert opinion. He will do the aforementioned investigations and will treat you accordingly.

Stay healthy.

|