Q. I get blood in stools after taking medications for H. pylori infection. Why?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 04, 2020

I am a 28-year-old female. I have a 2-year-old baby through c-section. My doctor did a blood test and said I have H. pylori infection because I felt some symptoms like chest burning and continuous burping. Three weeks before my doctor gave me antibiotics Clarithromycin 500 mg (one tablet in the morning and night), Amoxycillin 500 mg (two tablets in the morning and night) for one week. Then Omeprazole in empty stomach for two weeks. I finished all these medicines one week before. Today morning I got blood in my stool. It is like constipation dark stool. Half stool is dark half is normal. Then I watched some blood came from my stool. Today night also I checked my stool, now blood is very less than morning. Two days before, I ate beetroot also. I have attached the photo.

After I pass stool, I feel irritation in my anus. Is it whether because of beetroot I got blood like this or any other reason? Please clear my doubt. Then still, I feel some burning feel in heart and center of my chest. Especially, when I get tension I feel burning in chest and heart. Then mild pain in somewhere of my stomach near to the belly and upper abdomen sometimes. It is like gastritis pain in the back with continuous burping also sometimes. Then I have lip corner cracks, cracks coming and going continuously for the last three weeks. I am really worried. I searched on the internet about all these symptoms and it shows stomach cancer. Is this cancer? My ECG is normal.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Well, such short onset of symptoms does not point towards stomach cancer. For that, there should be other symptoms as well like vomiting, decreased appetite, weight loss, and blood in vomiting of mouth. None of above symotoms are present in you.

You received the H.pylori (Helicobacter pylori) treatement based on blood test. I do not recommend treatment based on blood testing. For H.pylori infection, I always do stool antigen testing or urea breath testing. But since you have already taken the antibiotic medicine, nothing can be done to reverse what already has happened. You should continue Esomeprazole 40 mg half an hour before breakfast for another two weeks. This will settle your stomach pain.

I have seen the picture you attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), since it is a very small amount of blood and it is too small to change the color of stools to red or maroonish, plus given light burning in the area after you pass stools suggest that it is an anal fissure.

Follow simple precautions as advised below and you will be fine.

Apply Xylocaine 2% gel three to four times daily with nozzle for five days, apply Diltiazem gel at anal canal with the nozzle three to four times daily alternate with Xylocaine. Take Ispagol husk two tablespoons full for a week now, then whenever you feel constipated. Do a sitz bath. Fill a tub of water up to half with slightly warm water, and add 5 ml of Dettol antiseptic, and sit in it for 15 minutes. Do it twice daily.

You should not be worried about this. I assure you there is nothing serious in you.

Anal fissure. Antibiotic induced gastric upsets.

Follow up in 3 days to update me about symptoms. If blood in stool persist then will change the regimen. Do save and upload any picture which you think contain blood and worth notifying.

|