Q. What can cause blood in stools?

Dr. Eriol Braholli
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am facing an embarrassing problem. Since last two weeks, I feel like going to the toilet more than once, while usually I do it only once in the morning. Also, I am a bit uncomfortable as all day it feels like I have not cleared my bowel activities for the day. Recently, about four days back, I noticed blood along with my stool. It was full red in color and fresh. Also, to mention that from last two weeks my stool was very hard. So, I doubt if it is a case of internal tear in the stool passing line and not a serious case of piles. But to add, these days I am feeling a bit uncomfortable near my anus and some sort of itching type, but not exactly itching. Today morning, I saw five to six fresh blood drops and then only stool passed out. I touched my anus with my finger and found fresh and red blood in my fingers. I also found one small blood clot near the anal area. I am really worried about this. Please help me with this.

About 9 years back, the same kind of problem happened. But, my father took me to a doctor and as far I remember the doctor gave me two ointments for application inside the anus. Then after a few days I was fine. Kindly help me and let me know if you want to know anything more.

#

I am sorry to hear that you are having these concerns.

• I am trying to explain some of the causes which might be responsible for bleeding while you have bowel movements, but without a physical examination it would be impossible to determine the real cause.

Fresh red blood in your stools may come from any one of the following:

• Anal fissure - This is the most likely issue in your case. Bleeding associated with pain and hard stools are typical for anal fissure.
  • Medical treatment with local creams such as Betamethasone and Lidocaine, Pilex tablets orally and stool softeners would be the first try. Changes in your diet such as taking more liquids, fibers and vegetables would help a lot.
  • Internal hemorrhoids - Even you may not see or touch them internal hemorrhoids can cause bleeding and pain during defecation. Generally, surgical treatment is the best choice in high stages.
  • Colon diverticula and rectum inflammation may also be associated with pain, red blood and alternative constipation and diarrhea. The primary disease must be cured in that case.
  • Also, there is a chance of rectum or anus polyps and tumors. But, this pathology is very rare at your age and it may be associated with all of your mentioned concerns. They must be treated carefully by specialized surgeons.
  • So, to determine which from the above causes is, you have to consult a surgeon for a physical examination and possible endoscopic examinations of your anus, rectum and colon.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|