Q. Please suggest an ointment for anal pain and bleeding.

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had anal bleeding and pain for a year. My doctor said that it is just because of a small crack at rectal opening and there is nothing to worry. He has given a cream for anal fissure and one tonic for stool smoother to reduce pain while going to the bathroom. It cured me completely in two to three days and I stopped using it. Now, I am facing the same problem again for the past two days and I lost the prescription. Please suggest me an ointment for my problem. I am sure that it is because of a small crack at the rectal opening. My bleeding and pain need to be controlled. Also, please suggest a stool softener.

#

• As like any other cuts on your skin, anal fissure does heal by itself within weeks. Though, help is often required due to pain and bleeding.
  • The first important rule for management is to treat constipation with stool bulk forming agents or laxatives like syrup Duphalac or Looz containing Lactulose or Metamucil containing psyllium has to be taken at night to pass a free motion in the morning.
  • Do drink lots of water and take high fiber diet like salads, fruits and vegetables like beans. Eating foods rich in fiber will reduce 15% to 70% chance of recurrence.
  • Do sitz bath that is sitting in a tub of warm water following bowel movement or after passing stools.
  • Application of topical Lidocaine 5% six times daily helps you to fight pain.
  • If pain or spasm is not relieved, then you may try ointment GTN or Glyceryl tri-nitrate in small quantities like a small size to be applied to the fissure around the anus five to six times daily. Do not go deep into the anal canal. It fastens healing and also relieves pain.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|