Q. Please suggest an ointment for anal pain and bleeding.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana
Published on Jul 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had anal bleeding and pain for a year. My doctor said that it is just because of a small crack at rectal opening and there is nothing to worry. He has given a cream for anal fissure and one tonic for stool smoother to reduce pain while going to the bathroom. It cured me completely in two to three days and I stopped using it. Now, I am facing the same problem again for the past two days and I lost the prescription. Please suggest me an ointment for my problem. I am sure that it is because of a small crack at the rectal opening. My bleeding and pain need to be controlled. Also, please suggest a stool softener.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

#

• As like any other cuts on your skin, anal fissure does heal by itself within weeks. Though, help is often required due to pain and bleeding.
  • The first important rule for management is to treat constipation with stool bulk forming agents or laxatives like syrup Duphalac or Looz containing Lactulose or Metamucil containing psyllium has to be taken at night to pass a free motion in the morning.
  • Do drink lots of water and take high fiber diet like salads, fruits and vegetables like beans. Eating foods rich in fiber will reduce 15% to 70% chance of recurrence.
  • Do sitz bath that is sitting in a tub of warm water following bowel movement or after passing stools.
  • Application of topical Lidocaine 5% six times daily helps you to fight pain.
  • If pain or spasm is not relieved, then you may try ointment GTN or Glyceryl tri-nitrate in small quantities like a small size to be applied to the fissure around the anus five to six times daily. Do not go deep into the anal canal. It fastens healing and also relieves pain.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

What to do for bleeding piles?

Query: Hi doctor, I had my kidney transplant two months ago. Now, I am suffering from piles. Can you suggest me some medicine?  Read Full »

Can an anal fissure heal on its own?

Query: Hi doctor, After passing stool yesterday, I noticed bright red blood on the toilet paper after wiping. Now today after passing stool, I noticed a bit of bright red blood on the toilet seat, but not in the stool and a bit when wiping. I am suffering from a bit of pain when this happens, and the bleed...  Read Full »

Why do I get the feeling of emptying my bowel whenever I go out?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 25 years old. My weight is 63 kg. I have masturbation habit for 6 years. My stomach gets bloated and there is gas formation. I also have tiredness and diarrhea. I have to apply pressure for passing urine and stools. I get the feeling of emptying my bowel whenever I got to go out ...  Read Full »