Q. Why do I have consistent bleeding during bowel movements?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 02, 2020
Having blood with bowel movements, this has been occurring for the last 5 days with a consistent bleed, some bowel movements have a heavier bleed and i have a wipe there is an excessive amount of blood. The bleeding only occurs during my bowel movements. I am not feeling lightheaded/dizzy, nauseous or vomiting. No rectal pain but having lower quadrant tightness. No history hemorrhoids.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Hello. I welcome you to icliniq.

I can understand you might have terrible time because of your condition.

The quantity of blood is very important to understand before a list of diagnosis can be made. Since you said it is heavier, and that all started 5 days back, it seem most commonly due to acute large bowel infection. Some parasites and some bacterial can causes inflammation of the large bowel and bleeding. I suggest you some treatment at the moment, and want that you should get following blood and stool tests, and inform me in 3 days about your condition. The investigation will give us clue and we can better narrow down list of differentials.

Meanwhile make sure you take only home cooked meals, take plenty of boiled or mineral water. Stomach tightness are rather non specific symptoms, can occur if large bowel is inflamed. I hope this will help

GI bleeding

Complete blood count
Bun creatinine lytes
IHA titer for E.histolytica
Urine Detail report. for ova and parasitis
Stool detail report
Stool culture and sensitivity
Fecal calprotectin

Acute hemorrhagic colitis
diverticulitis
rectal ulcers
Inflammatory bowel disease

Acute infectious colitis

Tab Flagyl 400 mg 2 tablets three times daily (6 tablets daily) for 5 days. It may cause metallic taste in mouth
Tab. Cefspan 400 mg once daily for 7 days

Follow up in 3 days with investigations

| 

What can cause blood in stools?

Query: Hi doctor, I am facing an embarrassing problem. Since last two weeks, I feel like going to the toilet more than once, while usually I do it only once in the morning. Also, I am a bit uncomfortable as all day it feels like I have not cleared my bowel activities for the day. Recently, about four days...  Read Full »

What is the possible diagnosis of left abdominal pain with loss of appetite?

Query: Hello doctor, Just after Christmas, I started losing my appetite, I began feeling sick and really lousy and weak. Then at the beginning of this month, I started getting pain in the upper left side of my abdomen (just under my bottom rib). I am still feeling rough, the pains are still happening and ...  Read Full »

My CT abdomen is suggestive of colitis. Would you explain the symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 54 year old male. My weight is 84 kg, and weight is 175 cm. I have done a CT scan before three months, and it showed mild thickening of the sigmoid colon suggestive colitis. I do not have any symptoms of colitis, diarrhea or blood in the stool. I have done stool occult blood test...  Read Full »