Q. My CT abdomen is suggestive of colitis. Would you explain the symptoms?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 04, 2021

I am a 54 year old male. My weight is 84 kg, and weight is 175 cm. I have done a CT scan before three months, and it showed mild thickening of the sigmoid colon suggestive colitis. I do not have any symptoms of colitis, diarrhea or blood in the stool. I have done stool occult blood tests several times since the report, and all came negative. Also, my CBC test fine. My complaint is a very mild abdominal pain for around two to three times a year. It would last for a week or so along with the feeling that I need to have a bowel movement. Besides the CT report, I have no sense of colitis. Would you explain my symptoms?

#

• The word colitis means an inflammatory reaction in the colon, often autoimmune or infectious. Most of the patients present with the pain in abdomen, diarrhea, and vomiting.
  • The first issue is to try to determine whether you had ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease.
  • Mild thickening of the colon can be because of conditions like Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, and systemic sclerosis.
  • Any conditions which produce inflammation can lead to bowel wall thickening and when any tissue is exposed to infection or irritation inflammation occurs. The on and off abdominal cramping is most likely because of inflammation of the colon.
  • I would initially suggest you take a course of tablet Oflox 400 mg (Ofloxacin) twice daily along with tablet Metrogyl 400 mg (Metronidazole) thrice daily for seven days.
  • If you are still symptomatic, then a colonoscopy or flexible sigmoidoscopy should be done to rule out the possibilities.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|