Q. Is it safe to take tablet Amlong along with tablet Telma?

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

My 81-year-old father has been diabetic for the past 30 years. He had bypass surgery and a history of stroke. I am attaching the ECG and ECHO report, which was done as part of a routine test. His blood pressure has been a little high, around 150/70 to 160/70 mmHg for the past few days. He has been taking tablet Telma half a tablet once daily. But after the fluctuations in his blood pressure readings, the doctor has added tablet Amlong along with tablet Telma once in the morning. I hope this is fine and will not lower the diastolic much.

What is the best time to take tablet Amlong?

Thanks.

#

Considering his cardiac history and stroke in the past, your doctor has tried to lower his BP (blood pressure). However, I suggest checking your BP three times a day for two days at home to conclude your BP. Sometimes anxiety at the doctors' place can increase BP.

Sometimes, hypothyroid can cause elevated BP, which does not promptly respond to BP-lowering medications. Tablet Amlong (Amlodipine) will not further lower diastolic BP. It should be safe for his age. It can be taken in the morning as your doctor suggested. So do not worry about that. If his BP is dropping with the addition of Amlong, kindly consult your doctor for a relook into the BP medications.

His foot Doppler and electrocardiogram reports seem good for his age (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity).

Take care.

|