Q. My BP is fluctuating and my triglyceride level is 215 mg/dL. Should I take medicine?

Published on Nov 21, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 25, 2019

I am 44 years old. I am working from home. When I did my last master health checkup a couple of years back, my BP was within the 120 / 80 mmHg. My triglycerides were high at around 212 mg/dL. All other parameters were normal. When I did my health checkup a couple of months back my BP was 150/90 mmHg and my LDL has gone slightly above normal with triglycerides level at 215mg/dL. I then checked my BP three to four times after that at different places and it is falling in the 136-150 / 90-92 mmHg. What should I do? I have started reducing salt intake, having black tea, bananas, doing some light exercises like climbing stairs, jump roping, etc. Should I go for any medication?

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

At this point of time, I would recommend you to follow strict life style modifications and changes that I advise and keep a watch on BP (blood pressure) and lipid profile. If there is no improvement with in a month, then we will start you on the medicines.

I would recommend the following:

Reduce your weight.

Avoid fatty food in the diet.

Consume potato, rice, oil, ghee, sweets, carbonated beverages in moderated amount only.

Avoid alcohol and smoking in case you do.

Take low salt, and pickles, fast food, pizza, burger needs to be stooped.

Get your lipid profile done next month and get your blood pressure checked. Report back to me with the reports, and we will discuss what needs to be done.

I have some clarifications. Can I continue to have bananas, black tea three to four cups, garlic and beetroot juice every day? Is it fine to have non-vegetarian food once a week? I only have fish and chicken when I take a non-vegetarian diet.

#

Yes, you can continue these items. I would recommend green tea instead of black tea. I would also recommend you to take boiled or grilled non-veg items instead of oily and gravy items, as they have a high fat content.

Which medicine can be used to get a proper erection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a married guy of 32 years old. For the past two to three years, I am facing problem to get proper erection. I have already consulted a doctor and he asked me to get some tests done such as cholesterol, sugar and BP. We found that the triglyceride value is more than 350 mg/dL. He advi...  Read Full »

My blood pressure is erratic. Can you help ?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old. Recently, I started having high blood pressure. It goes up and down a lot. At some times, it is 170/90, and at others, it is 130/80. Recently I have done a blood test, where my Hb was 10.52, cholesterol was 152, triglyceride was 165, HDL 28 and LDL was 91. The other...  Read Full »

I am worried about my high triglyceride level. How to reduce it?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old male. I tested my blood triglyceride and cholesterol. I have a triglyceride of 3.07 mmol/L and cholesterol of 4.33 mmol/L. I am worried about my high triglyceride level. Currently, I am taking Atenolol 25 mg in the morning. Please help.  Read Full »