My father 70 years old, is just recovering from a septic shock and amputation. He has had is leg amputated below the knee. He had an infected wound on his foot and fell into a septic shock.
1. He has kidney failure and needs dialysis. His blood pressure dips too low during dialysis and it had to be aborted. Is there anything that can be done for him to keep his blood pressure up during dialysis?
2. His amputation wound is not healing. Can anything be done to promote wound healing? Could another amputation above the knee help the wound to heal?
Welcome to icliniq.com.
There are number of ways to try to avoid fall in blood pressure.
1. Do not take blood pressure medicines prior to dialysis.
2. Avoid eating during dialysis.
3. May be tell doctor to reduce his fluid removal on HD.
4. Reducing the dialysate temperature by 0.5 celcius.
5 . Or still issue persists can take tablet Gutron (Midodrine) 2.5 mg tablet prior to dialysis and dose can be increased to 7.5 mg. Regarding wound healing, elderly take some time for wound to heal, we can wait sometime and ensure adequate nutrition, normal Hb and still problem persist, can consult surgeon about further plan.
Was this answer helpful?|
Query: Hello doctor, My sister is undergoing stomach dialysis treatment for the past one month. Now, she has developed water in the lungs. Due to that, there is breathlessness, no appetite, no sleep, water retention in feet, and stomach. The doctor has removed 1 liter of water from the lungs, but second d... Read Full »
Article Overview: Blood pressure is the force exerted by the blood flowing in the blood vessels on the walls of the vessels. Without this force, oxygen and nutrients would not reach the tissues and organs of the body. The heart exerts this pressure by forcing the blood out with every contraction. The increase or decrease of blood pressure depends on the circumference of the blood vessel and the force by which the heart pumps the blood Read Article
What Is Blood Pressure? Blood pressure is the force exerted by the blood flowing in the blood vessels on the walls of the vessels. Without this force, oxygen and nutrients would not reach the tissues and organs of the body. The heart exerts this pressure by forcing the blood out with every contract... Read Article
Query: Hello doctor, My father is suffering from CKD for the past one year. His creatinine level is 11.05, urea is 144 and uric acid is 5.10. He has no swelling or breathlessness, but his phosphorus content is high 5.80. We have not started the dialysis at the moment. Could you please guide the right wa... Read Full »
Ask your health query to a doctor online?Ask a Nephrologist Now