Q. What are the ways to maintain blood pressure during dialysis?

Dr. Pankaj Jawandhiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 20, 2020

My father 70 years old, is just recovering from a septic shock and amputation. He has had is leg amputated below the knee. He had an infected wound on his foot and fell into a septic shock.

1. He has kidney failure and needs dialysis. His blood pressure dips too low during dialysis and it had to be aborted. Is there anything that can be done for him to keep his blood pressure up during dialysis?

2. His amputation wound is not healing. Can anything be done to promote wound healing? Could another amputation above the knee help the wound to heal?

#

There are number of ways to try to avoid fall in blood pressure.

1. Do not take blood pressure medicines prior to dialysis.

2. Avoid eating during dialysis.

3. May be tell doctor to reduce his fluid removal on HD.

4. Reducing the dialysate temperature by 0.5 celcius.

5 . Or still issue persists can take tablet Gutron (Midodrine) 2.5 mg tablet prior to dialysis and dose can be increased to 7.5 mg. Regarding wound healing, elderly take some time for wound to heal, we can wait sometime and ensure adequate nutrition, normal Hb and still problem persist, can consult surgeon about further plan.

|