Q. Why is there accumulation of water in spite of stomach dialysis?

Dr. Sandeep Varma
Published on May 31, 2018

My sister is undergoing stomach dialysis treatment for the past one month. Now, she has developed water in the lungs. Due to that, there is breathlessness, no appetite, no sleep, water retention in feet, and stomach. The doctor has removed 1 liter of water from the lungs, but second day it is accumulating. What will be the treatment?

Dr. Sandeep Varma

Nephrology
#

Your sister is undergoing peritoneal (stomach) dialysis. Now, she is having fluid retention in her body. This can be either due to change in her fluid intake habits wherein she has now increased fluid intake, another reason may be that the dialysis technique is not resulting in an adequate water removal from her body as well as poor clearance of toxic material (which may account for her poor appetite).

We also have to see if the medicine fluid which we install in her stomach is going into her chest cavity. Having excluded the later condition, I would suggest her to have a PET test which will give an idea of how her stomach surface membrane is working. This will give an idea as to how we can tailor our dialysis schedule for her (number of sessions per day, duration of each session, the concentration of fluid to be used, etc).

I hope I have helped you.

For more information consult a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

| 

How to decrease the Level of Creatinine in Body?

Article Overview: High level of creatinine in the body indicates some problem with kidneys. This article explains the various treatment options to lower creatinine. Read Article

Creatinine gives an idea about Renal Health Serum or blood creatinine gives an idea about renal health. Creatine phosphate is made with three different types of amino acids such as arginine, glycine and methionine. It is useful to provide energy supply to muscles. Creatinine is an end product of th...  Read Article

A pet dog bit me three years back. Can I take anti-rabies vaccine now?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old male. Three years ago, a dog slightly bit my hand. The dog died 1.5 years after he bit me. It has been three years now, but I am worried as I heard that rabies appears after years. I did not take any medicine then. I ignored it because it was a pet dog. If I take anti...  Read Full »

Ask a Nephrologist Now