Q. My fasting blood glucose is 267 mg/dL. Will it affect my lifespan?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

I am a 28 year old male, and I checked my blood sugar levels yesterday. My fasting blood glucose is 267 mg/dL, HbA1C is 8.8 %, and microalbumin is 24. Is it very critical? I am worried about my lifespan. Is it highly dangerous to the kidney and heart? Can I marry? Please help me. Thank you in advance.

#

• I just read your query and your test results (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and I must say that you have diabetes and that you should be started on treatment as soon as possible.
  • I suggest you start tablet Glycinorm M 30 (combination of Gliclazide and Metformin), once daily after breakfast. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicine after their consent.
  • Do not worry, as long as your blood sugar remains controlled with the combination of drugs, diet, and exercise, it will not damage your organs. What we can do is prevent those complications from occurring, so you have to help yourself now. Try doing the following:
  1. Start this medicine straight away.
  2. Avoid carbohydrates or rice, sweet juices or sugar, and sugar-containing products.
  3. Walk daily for 30 minutes minimum.
  4. Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water.
  5. Eat less fat and oily foods. Consume more vegetables and stay fit. People have lived longer without any complications if they were fit and ate healthily.
  • Check your blood sugar often and your HbA1C in three months again. Send the reports to me, so I can adjust your medicines accordingly as we need to titrate your medicine with your HbA1C over a period of time till it stabilizes.

Hope my advice is of some benefit to you. Good luck.

For further queries consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Thank you so much for replying. Can I get married?

#

• Go ahead and get married. Avoid sweets. All the best.

For more information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

|