HomeAnswersDiabetologyblood sugar levelsIs increased fasting glucose level a threat to the lifespan?

My fasting blood glucose is 267 mg/dL. Will it affect my lifespan?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At September 23, 2017
Reviewed AtJuly 4, 2023

Patient's Query

I am a 28 year old male, and I checked my blood sugar levels yesterday. My fasting blood glucose is 267 mg/dL, HbA1C is 8.8 %, and microalbumin is 24. Is it very critical? I am worried about my lifespan. Is it highly dangerous to the kidney and heart? Can I marry? Please help me. Thank you in advance.

Answered by Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

I just read your query and your test results (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and I must say that you have diabetes and that you should be started on treatment as soon as possible. I suggest you start tablet Glycinorm M 30 (combination of Gliclazide and Metformin), once daily after breakfast. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicine after their consent. Do not worry, as long as your blood sugar remains controlled with the combination of drugs, diet, and exercise, it will not damage your organs. What we can do is prevent those complications from occurring, so you have to help yourself now. Try doing the following. Start this medicine straight away. Avoid carbohydrates or rice, sweet juices or sugar, and sugar-containing products. Walk daily for 30 minutes minimum. Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water. Eat less fat and oily foods. Consume more vegetables and stay fit. People have lived longer without any complications if they were fit and ate healthily. Check your blood sugar often and your HbA1C (Glycated hemoglobin) in three months again. Send the reports to me, so I can adjust your medicines accordingly as we need to titrate your medicine with your HbA1C over a period of time till it stabilizes. Hope my advice is of some benefit to you. Good luck.

Patient's Query

Thank you so much for replying. Can I get married?

Answered by Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

You have got diabetes, which is a simple problem, and that should not stop you from getting married. Go ahead and get married. Avoid sweets. All the best.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Endocrinology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Diabetology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy