Q. Please review my blood sugar reports and let me know if I am diabetic.

Dr. Sreejith Mg
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 21, 2021

I started taking medicine for diabetes from last year. Then after two months, I had to stop because my sugar went down very much. And sometimes, I had to eat glucose to maintain the sugar level. I used to continuously check my blood sugar levels after every 2 to 3 months. As the tests were normal, I stopped the medicines. I did my routine blood test recently, as I had slight continuous foot sole pain. Please review my report, and let me know.

#

I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Your blood sugar is not under control. Everyone whose HbA1c is more than 6.4, have diabetes. Always keep HbA1c less than 7, for better control of DM (diabetes mellitus) type 2.
  • Your other blood reports are fine, as a minimal variation from normal range is acceptable.
  • I suggest you try the following for diabetes.
  1. Lifestyle modifications have to be done, like exercise and diet control.
  2. Daily you have to do minimum 30 minutes exercise, which includes walking, swimming, running, etc.
  3. Reduce your weight by diet and exercise.
  4. Take small frequent low glycemic index diet.
  5. You can add tablets like Metformin 1000 mg once daily, or tablets like DPP4 (dipeptidyl peptidase-4) inhibitors and Metformin combination (Janumet or Galvus Met).
  • Usually, these tablets would not produce severe hypoglycemia. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking medicines after their consent.

For more information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Thank you for the quick reply. Does that mean I am a diabetic patient? Can I be normal again?

#

• Do not worry, you are normal in all aspect. And your blood sugar is not that high.
  • There is a great role of diet and exercise for you. The only thing is that you have to keep your blood sugar well under control, that is HbA1c less than 7. This is to protect your organs from other diabetic complications.
  • So, if you can make this level with good exercise and diet, you can postpone the diabetic tablets. Reduce your BMI (basal mass index) to less than 24, and check your fasting and postprandial sugar levels, and HbA1c after 3 months.

Revert after three months to a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

|