Based on your query, my opinion is as follows. Whenever blood is drawn for test, the specific area is cleaned and then needle is inserted into vein to draw the blood into a sterile tube. Even if there is bleach in skin after cleaning, the negative pressure to draw blood is not done till the vein is pricked. So, there is no possibility of bleach entering blood sample. Also, the amount drawn is usually 2 to 5 mL and the small quantities of bleach, which is minute going by needle size will not influence the test. Your test results will not vary because of bleach. It will be correct only. Do not worry.
Thank you for the response. The internet has articles that talk about contamination, letting the area dry, etc. What do you say? Does it make sense? I am curious when you say no possibility, but I just had a lot of the bleach mix on arm prior to going in. I read some of the articles which quoted as inadequate skin preparation is a common cause of blood culture contamination. Bacteria normally found on the skin can contaminate the specimen if the collection site is not cleaned properly. If there is inadequate drying time of the antiseptic, then it is critical that there be meticulous preparation of the skin prior to venipuncture to prevent contamination of the specimen which could result in inappropriate antimicrobial therapy. Please help.
The quotes you have sent talk about bacterial contamination leading to inappropriate antimicrobial therapy. They do not talk about having wrong results in counts or other biochemical values. So, unless the blood sample is taken for culture and you are suffering from high grade fever, the results should not vary even with inadequate cleaning. The only risk is an introduction of the infection into your body from skin. The most important and maybe a good thing is you had Clorox on your arm. One of the ingredients in Clorox bleach is sodium hypochlorite, which can kill bacteria. So, all the bacterias are killed due to Clorox and additional antiseptic procedure would also have been taken, so a double clean. There is no risk of bacterial contamination or introduction of infection into your body at present. Tests are not affected, not to worry. However, Clorox as such cannot be used as an antiseptic as it contains other chemicals too and could be toxic. Avoid direct skin exposure in future.
Was this answer helpful?
Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!
I am scheduled for an apicoectomy next month to deal with the asymptomatic infection ... I only mention this as I am worried that maybe the untreated infection could have spread from the root of Read full
Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.