Q. What causes red sputum while coughing?

Dr. Aastha Midha Likhyani
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Oct 25, 2019

My father is 59 years old now. Three years back, one day early morning my father started to cough and when he spit, the color of the sputum was dark red. Sometimes, later he started to cough and spit blood with the sputum. We took him to the hospital and after the test of endoscopy, the doctors said that my father had cirrhosis. Then he never used alcohol.

Now he takes regular medicines and checkup. Later after a few months, when he coughed the color of the sputum was dark red. Again some blood was coming with the sputum. The doctors said that it was not because of the cirrhosis. But, now his weight gain and belly fat is also increasing. And nowadays, he coughs more. Can you please tell me some tips to take care of his health.

#

First of all, when he had coughed before, and he was diagnosed with liver cirrhosis, that is because of gastric varices which he might had developed, and now as you were saying that doctor has said he does not have blood due to cirrhosis, that means he has developed some other pathology.

For proper diet plan and his treatment, first I would suggest that you should do one ultrasound of liver that is called fibroscan, get it done and send me the reports. Secondly, you need to get his endoscopy done again and one digital chest X-ray. Once these reports are done, send it to me all the reports along with your query.

You must stop all oily food, must keep checking his sugar levels. He should not develop diabetes and if he will then stop his sugar intake, give him more soups and boiled food items only, always avoid raw food like salads and stuff. For cough, you can give him tablet CCGO one tablet twice a day for five days. The tablets can be increased more once I get proper reports to study. Do not worry and take care.

I have burning sensation from throat to upper stomach. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 37-year-old male. I am feeling some slight burning sensation from throat to upper stomach and feeling bit uneasy in the throat. I have also noticed some blood on spit twice or thrice last one week. Today, I got the test result which is all perfect except some borderline up cho...  Read Full »

Does blood in sputum in the mornings, dry throat and mouth mean cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, For about a year I have been coughing up mucus with a small fleck or flecks of blood in it. It happens only in the morning and not every day. I have noticed that my throat and mouth are very dry on the days that it happens. I also have little flecks of blood in my snot when I blow my ...  Read Full »

Does "tree in bud nodules" in CT scan mean cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, My CT scan says defined streaky opacity with associated loss volume and clustered tree in bud nodules have developed in the anterior segment of the upper left lobe. The associated central bronchi are impacted. Without an obvious mass, although a small central lesion is not excluded. The ...  Read Full »

Ask a Surgical Gastroenterologist Now