Q. Had dialysis, but there is no improvement in the kidney function of a liver cirrhosis patient. Why?

Dr. Zubin Dev Sharma
Published on Dec 13, 2018

My father is suffering from liver cirrhosis as reported by the doctors. His kidneys are also damaged and due to constipation brain is also getting affected. Urine is not passing. He is unconscious. We tried dialysis twice but there are no signs of improvement as per the doctors here. I just wanted to have another opinion regarding his survival. Any experienced doctor's advice would help a lot in this situation. He is an alcoholic since last 20 years.

Dr. Zubin Dev Sharma

Medical Gastroenterology
#

As described in the case summary, the patient's condition is critical (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Decompensated cirrhosis is an irreversible disease, and it seems the patient has all the complications of the disease. The optimum medical management is already being provided as per the summary. Liver transplant is the only curative option but with the current situation, at least some partial recovery would be perhaps needed before the transplant can be taken up particularly for kidneys. Logistics and donor from family are needed for transplant to proceed as LDLT is an option. The patient is too sick to wait for a cadaveric donor. It seems it would be prudent to continue treatment as of now. The chances of survival will depend on the recovery signs best judged by the treating doctor.

CKD patient with high phosphorus content. Is dialysis required now?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is suffering from CKD for the past one year. His creatinine level is 11.05, urea is 144 and uric acid is 5.10. He has no swelling or breathlessness, but his phosphorus content is high 5.80. We have not started the dialysis at the moment. Could you please guide the right wa...  Read Full »

My dad has been advised temporary dialysis. Does he really require it?

Query: Hi doctor,My 66 year old father suddenly got a high fever and in few days we discovered he has a urinary tract infection. He is a diabetic and on insulin. He is a very disciplined person when it comes to his health. He checked his creatinine levels early this year and it was in the normal range. Af...  Read Full »

Does normal diet cause edema in a liver cirrhosis patient?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is suffering from liver cirrhosis. Will the liver remain enlarged? Or do come back to its normal size after some time? Does having a normal diet develop edema?  Read Full »