Q. Is IBD the cause of my small bowel obstruction?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Last year, I was treated in the ER for a small bowel obstruction due to inflammation. I do not have a diagnosis of an IBD. After looking at the criteria for Crohns and UC, I fit the bill for at the most 2 of the symptoms. Ive gone now for almost a year without any other issues but know that at times there is still inflammation. My teenage son is having issues possibly related to an IBD. Is it possible that Ive gone all these years without a diagnosis? Or is there any other explanation for a small bowel obstruction?

I Knew something was wrong a month before obstruction. Stool was sometimes narrow and difficult to push. Still have that issue occasionally.

#

Hello dear. I welcome you to icliniq.

Well is may be a simple infection of the small bowel which has led to you some obstructive symptoms, not necessarily complete obstruction, otherwise you would have had surgery at the time. Some bacterial infections involving small bowel can present like that, and resolve with antibiotic therapies. Since you do not have recurrent symptoms, I doubt whether you have IBD.

If you completely asymptomatic at the moment, then do not worry about this, if you have symptoms then we can discuss the possibilities. And in that case, let me know your symptoms. And if your son has the same, I would also want to know his symptoms as well. I hope this answered your concern.

Best regards

| 

I have IBS and seems to be related to SIBO. Please advise management.

Query: Hi doctor, I realize I have IBS symptoms and they seem to be related to SIBO. I need your advice on how to treat it effectively. Here are some symptoms and test results. Leaky gut or intestinal permeability with multiple food intolerances. Seems to have hydrogen sulfide based SIBO, severe farting...  Read Full »

I am a crohn's disease patient. Can I take ayurvedic medicines?

Query: Hi, I am a crohn's disease patient and now my ESR level is 70 and CRP positive. I am taking pentasa 1g twice (morning and evening) and also 150mg of azoran (immunity suppressant tablet) in the morning alone. Today I visited an ayurvedic doctor to start ayurvedic treatment and he gave me medicine ind...  Read Full »

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Symptoms, Causes and Treatment

Article Overview: Irritable bowel syndrome is one of the annoying gastrointestinal tract diseases because of the chronic nature of the disease and the variety of symptoms that can interfere with your daily life. Read Article

Dr. Mahmoud Abdallah Elashkar

Irritable bowel syndrome is a functional disturbance of colonic motility without organic causes. IBS is characterized by abdominal pain and altered bowel habits. Causes:  Unknown, but psychological disturbance plays a role. Symptoms: IBS is known to have a long history with long interval pe...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»